Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a problem, I have a male guppy that I have had since i got my tank. He seemed perfectly healthy yesterday before i went to bed. Happy as can be... I woke up this morning and went to feed and check on my aquarium and its inhabitants when I realized i couldnt find my guppy. Looked all over my tank to notice he was sitting on the bottom of the tank and appeared to be distressed. I waited and watched and when he finally swam up to the middle i noticed his back fins were ripped! :shock: I dont know where is came from. I did my regular water change of 25% and treated the water with melafix as well as adding some salt. He appears to be swimming fine now. I think he might have gotten his fins caught between some rocks perhaps. Could really use some help! Not sure whats the culprit or what i should do! :???: Ill add a picture of him as well. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Could have been the filter snagged him while he was resting. Often trying to get away can shred them. Put something around the intake tube like a sponge or screen. Rocks could do it, but it's unlikely they'd be that bad unless he REALLY got himself snagged, which unless he got freaked out or chased by someone else in the tank wouldn't happen likely. Could, but is less likely.

Other inhabitants like other male guppies or other fish. Male guppies have those lovely tails and often chew each other up at random times. I have a Tequila Sunrise tux guppy that recently lost the majority of his tail to another male.

Best you can do for him is either remove dangers or block them, keep your tank very clean(don't over do it and send it into a cycle) so he wont get finrot or an infection or fungus. Usually that's all one needs, otherwise a little melafix will help keep that down if he has issues. Others chewing him up while injured can cause infections, fungus and finrot if he's not allowed to heal no matter how clean though, so watch out for that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have any other male guppies, I do have a gourami and i'v heard they tend to nip at long fins. I'v been watching, havent seen any nipping and such. I will do more regular water changes and continue with treating the tank, hope it will help him heal. Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Oh yes, if you have him with a gourami that's the most likely culprit. I have some with a gourami in a 55 gal...he ripped up one of my blue/blonde tux boys once when he never had before, and hasn't since. They don't always get along. Gourami's can get grumpy out of nowhere. =)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts