Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I am super new to this forum and any forums in fact, so if I am posting in the wrong thread or something let me know!

Anyway, I have a fully cycled (I believe) 10 gal (I am also relatively new to fish keeping, roughly 1 year) with 3 fancy male guppies, 2 glowlight tetras, 3 white clouds, a small albino algae eater of some sort (I forgot his name) and 8 ghost shrimp. I have some jungle val in the back and recently added an air pump. The temp is 76, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 40 and 80 (difficult to read on this card they both look the same to me), pH between 7.4 and 7.6 so I'm calling it 7.5 (does it have to be even numbers?).

I realize that all of the fish I currently have are schooling fish and I don't have the proper number of any of them, but the numbers I have now are all a product of trial and error while beginning my new hobby and I don't really want to buy anymore tetras or minnows and I don't have the heart to flush or get rid of my tetras and minnows. To start, I had all minnows and tetras in my 10 gal but a few died as the tank cycled (due to my inexperience) but everything finally leveled off and these are the fish I had left. My 2 tetras seemed to be doing fine by themselves, but I noticed my 2 smaller minnows were always bullying the big one so I thought I should introduce some new friends. I had my guppies in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge, but I recently picked up a new betta (a GORGEOUS halfmoon) and needed to get him out of the 1 gallon QT tank I had him in so I decided to do some rehomimg. I know you shouldn't put guppies and bettas together (and I have discovered that my bettas ALL hate the 10 gal, too much light) so the guppies went to the 10 gal and my betta (Alpha) went into the Edge (with a gap for air of course). The guppies seem to have fixed my bullying problem! My poor little minnow is now stress free and the two other jerks swim by him seemingly without noticing him and all is peaceful and harmonious in my tank.

Ok enough background and I'm sorry if it was too much or unnecessary, which I'm sure it was.

My guppies look to be the happiest they have ever been and are always interacting and showing more personality than I ever thought a tiny guppy could have. The reason I'm posting today is because I noticed my guppy with the longest tail is making these incredibly adorable loops in the water every minute or so and I'm just curious what this type of behavior means. Is he just super happy? Is he stressed or sick and he's freaking out? Is this some sort of aggressive show of territory? He's not bothering the other fish and he doesn't appear to be ill. He's swimming around regularly and not tilting or staying near the top or bottom. He's just swimming around making loops and minding his own business. I have not seen the other two doing this.

Thanks to everyone who actually reads this and doesn't get bored of my rambling! I know everyone in my house doesn't care and is sick of hearing about my fish lol. Thanks for any replies

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hello everyone! I am super new to this forum and any forums in fact, so if I am posting in the wrong thread or something let me know!

Anyway, I have a fully cycled (I believe) 10 gal (I am also relatively new to fish keeping, roughly 1 year) with 3 fancy male guppies, 2 glowlight tetras, 3 white clouds, a small albino algae eater of some sort (I forgot his name) and 8 ghost shrimp. I have some jungle val in the back and recently added an air pump. The temp is 76, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate between 40 and 80 (difficult to read on this card they both look the same to me), pH between 7.4 and 7.6 so I'm calling it 7.5 (does it have to be even numbers?).

I realize that all of the fish I currently have are schooling fish and I don't have the proper number of any of them, but the numbers I have now are all a product of trial and error while beginning my new hobby and I don't really want to buy anymore tetras or minnows and I don't have the heart to flush or get rid of my tetras and minnows. To start, I had all minnows and tetras in my 10 gal but a few died as the tank cycled (due to my inexperience) but everything finally leveled off and these are the fish I had left. My 2 tetras seemed to be doing fine by themselves, but I noticed my 2 smaller minnows were always bullying the big one so I thought I should introduce some new friends. I had my guppies in a 6 gallon Fluval Edge, but I recently picked up a new betta (a GORGEOUS halfmoon) and needed to get him out of the 1 gallon QT tank I had him in so I decided to do some rehomimg. I know you shouldn't put guppies and bettas together (and I have discovered that my bettas ALL hate the 10 gal, too much light) so the guppies went to the 10 gal and my betta (Alpha) went into the Edge (with a gap for air of course). The guppies seem to have fixed my bullying problem! My poor little minnow is now stress free and the two other jerks swim by him seemingly without noticing him and all is peaceful and harmonious in my tank.

Ok enough background and I'm sorry if it was too much or unnecessary, which I'm sure it was.

My guppies look to be the happiest they have ever been and are always interacting and showing more personality than I ever thought a tiny guppy could have. The reason I'm posting today is because I noticed my guppy with the longest tail is making these incredibly adorable loops in the water every minute or so and I'm just curious what this type of behavior means. Is he just super happy? Is he stressed or sick and he's freaking out? Is this some sort of aggressive show of territory? He's not bothering the other fish and he doesn't appear to be ill. He's swimming around regularly and not tilting or staying near the top or bottom. He's just swimming around making loops and minding his own business. I have not seen the other two doing this.

Thanks to everyone who actually reads this and doesn't get bored of my rambling! I know everyone in my house doesn't care and is sick of hearing about my fish lol. Thanks for any replies
Guppies tend to be active fish so I wouldn't be worried about his flips.

Reactions: Fishface24

·
Registered
679 Posts
Keep an eye on it and if he looks like he is becoming ill move him. I doubt it but some parasites can make livebearers do that. It is very uncommon in domesticated fish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Keep an eye on it and if he looks like he is becoming ill move him. I doubt it but some parasites can make livebearers do that. It is very uncommon in domesticated fish.
Oh no.. I was worried about some insane unknown (to me) parasite. He is still doing the loops but they have slowed down. Thanks for the info I"ll keep an eye on him!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, henningc, I guess he got that crazy parasite you were talking about because I came home from work today to find him laying at the bottom arched over with shrimp going to town on his poor fins :(. He was still alive but I thought it best to put him out of his misery. Any info on this parasite? Is it going to kill my other fish? As soon as I got him out of the tank, I decided it was time to do the rehaul that I've been wanting to do so I disassembled the tank and cleaned it and set up a nice little planted layout. I've been soaking a really cool piece of driftwood for a while and figured now was the perfect time.

Any info on my poor fish's untimely demise would be much appreciated! Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 5 of 5 Posts