Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new and didn't see my question anywhere on the web or this forum.

I plan on using quilt batting around a metal frame with some sort of media in between the layers of batting. I'm not sure if I should use just activated carbon (like this) or API Ammo-Carb (this).

I think what I'm trying to ask is what exactly is the difference? Is one better/worse than the other? I wasn't able to find anyone on the web with my same questions.

Thanks!

(I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. :) )

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will be running a Whisper 5-15 (looks very similar to this one). I got it from a friend and it didn't come with any cartridges, and being a poor college student making my own made more sense to me.
My tank is not cycled. Even after reading several "how to"s on cycling I can't figure it out so I've given up on that one.

Do you think I could hot glue/sew layers of batting together? I was thinking the metal frame because it was studier than anything else I could think of and I could reuse it without worrying about breakage, however I didn't consider corrosion.

Thanks for the replies.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess I don't *need* a filter, but there's a place for one? I guess that's a little confusing. When I got it it had an old dried up one in it. I guess I should've mentioned that, to explain why I thought I needed one.

Oh no, I couldn't accept that, but thank you for offering.

I have a single male betta in a 10 gallon tank with a decent amount of decorations - several fake plants, a ship wreck, a hamster tube, and a few other ceramic decorations that came out of my dad's old tanks.

I guess I'll try to figure out cycling again. I like fish and try to do my best with them and when I have more money I'd like to try more/different fish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.