Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My magnesium levels have been dropping from the 1100 range (which is already low) to the 980 range (super low), as well as my calcium levels?? I've been using fluval sea magnesium supplement and it hasn't done a thing, the magnesium is still dropping. Alkalinity seems okay at 10 dKH. What can I do for the magnesium? Water changes don't cut it.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I know I asked in another thread but I will ask again, are you seeing white build up around your pumps and or heater? Have you tried raising your calcium? Have you had a secondary source test the water to double check the tests?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh I thought I had answered. No there is no build up anywhere and yes I raise my calcium as needed and the magnesium goes up a little but no significantly. The magnesium didn't start dropping till I added macro algae, too. And no secondary source but I'm using Elos and that's supposed to be the best I hear.. But I can get another test kit to confirm it

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Usually Local Fish Stores will test your water for free, I know mine has a number of tests to run but there are stores that do not run a saltwater section and sometimes do not have the others tests such as Mag. Do you have a calcerous algae in the tank such as Halimeda? I would try and raise your calium levels to about 420-440 and the mag to 1200-1300. Generally you want to have your Mag 3 times that of the Calc so if your calcium is low, say 380, then a 1000-1100 Mag is not too far off.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My lfs is petco, so I doubt it, lol. The algae is chaeto and ulva sea lettuce. There's also about 50 snails (got extras in the mail) so maybe that could have an affect. Anyway thank you I will try to raise it when I raise my calcium

1 - 5 of 5 Posts