Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I have a planted aquarium and its in a fluval chi. Im trying to decide whether i want to replace the filter cube with better lighting and a different filter or not.

I have dwarf baby tears, willow moss, java fern, anubias nana, and staurogynes repens all in eco complete. I use flourish and fourish excel.

My question is... How many lumens do the dwarf tears need? Will the other low light plants be ok with that light level???

Also i should mention that i have dwarf rasboras and shrimp too. :) thanks every one for your help! :)

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Depends on light unit and setup! Looking for a setup that is in the colour temp of 5500-6500K should/would be able to grow the baby tears well.

Reactions: angelicgurly

·
Registered
398 Posts
I got the impression that colour temp (Kelvin rating) has nothing to do with growing plants. That's for human eye, how you'd like to see them; 5500-6500k being as natural green as they can be.
Plants grow just as well under 2000k or 10.000k as long as the intensity is the same. Nobody likes an orange tank (2000k) or a blue one (10.000k) so a 6000k is a good choice for green plants.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I got the impression that colour temp (Kelvin rating) has nothing to do with growing plants
Well, for me it's yes and no. Plants are going to have a hard time growing under a reef lighting setup, regardless of the amount of light you pump in there. Remember, plants photosynthesize under a small wavelength of light, so lighting setups should contain the red/blue spectrums to grow plants successfully. And most of the the 5500-6500K lights contain the spectra of both red/blue to grow low light and sometimes medium light, depending on intensity.
But without proper requirements, I just suggested the universal go to. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts