Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just upgraded my aquarium and I still have the old 10 gallon. I really don't want it to collect dust so I decided to keep it on top of my dresser. The only problem is I need to have this tank the lowest amount of tech possible. I have a limit on how much power I can use in my room (which is really my garage). I was considering a blue crawfish tank but I heard they grow pretty big. Does anyone have any suggestions? Preferably a setup that doesnt require heat.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
840 Posts
I just turned my spare 10 gal into a dirt- base tank with sand cap. My vision for this tank is to be heavily planted with maybe a few very small fish or guppy fry. I don't know how cold your garage gets but platies are good down to about 68°f. It wouldn't take much electricity to maintain 68 if your starting from room temp. If its closer to outdoor temp you would need a big (200 watt) heater and of course more electricity. If your really set on no heater, you might consider native fish.
I hope this helps you. Good luck with your new (old) tank.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
You could get some rechargeable flashlights for lighting and use a heater or do a NPT. I just can't see many (if any) fish suitable for a 10 gallon doing okay without a heater. What about an Axlotl? Their minimum tank size is 10 gallons and as long as it doesn't get too cold in the garage, you wouldn't need a heater. They like cold water.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.