Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my Ph is really low just wonderd if anybody recomends anything inparticular to raise it?
also could anyone know what causes it to drop? is it the wood or something else?
thanks guys

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
my ph is the lowest on the test cant remember sorry far too low anyway
sorry but i dont understand kh?

i have all catfish 8 plecs and a large cat

only a slight brown not really alot

·
Banned
750 Posts
Test your water source also, I'm assuming it is your tap water that you use for your aquarium. If you're tap is around 7 or higher, remove the wood. Or if you really want to keep the wood, maybe add a little bit of aragonite in the subtrate. This is often used in cichlid or marine tanks to raise/keep the pH high. Don't add allot to the substrate, just a little and wait a week or so after you tested before adding more. You can add chemicals, but it's usually cheaper in the long run to use aragonite.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If you can get your water tested at an lfs that has a calibrated electronic ph meter to confirm your reading I would do so first.... I myself went through a lot of grief with faulty test kits just recently.

·
Banned
750 Posts
I agree. Get your water tested at your LFS/LPS to verify the results.

Don't let the employee sell you pH raising chemicals. Most of these will increase the pH, but as Derek-M stated, if you don't raise the kH, then the pH will eventually drop back down again. Big shifts in pH can stress the fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.