Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals

I am looking for a plant that will not grow tall but will kind of like blanket the bottom of my tank. I guess i am looking for something like a grass or of the like.

what do you suggest?

thanks
-jamie-

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i saw that thread. i saw something that kinda resembled 4 leaf clovers or something. i want like a blanket on the bottom of my tank. i think it will look really nice

·
Registered
300 Posts
Awwww... I like that Rotala! It's awesome! OK ok... I'm letting it go now....

Look up Hemianthus callitrichoides "cuba" or something like that... may be what you're looking for...

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the info!!!!!!

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
Anything that'll grow a proper carpet on your bottom will need proper light/ enough light to get down there so no 2W over 200g mixture :)
What grows well and fairly quick is Hairgrass Dwarf Hairgrass (Eleocharis acicularis) pot
Nice looking is Clover or dwarf baby tears CLOVER, FOUR LEAF (Marsilea quadrifolia) or Dwarf Baby Tears (Hemianthus callitrichoides)(potted)
Or built a screen carpet the size you want and tie down Java moss to it, will take over on the screen bottom in no time and I'd have to say stay's the lowest outta all named options here

·
Registered
339 Posts
Anything that'll grow a proper carpet on your bottom will need proper light/ enough light to get down there so no 2W over 200g mixture :)
LISTEN to that, my baby tears are pretty much finished, never even spread off of the rock I bought it attached to. All my other plants are growing, but the tears refused to. Or the platys picked them to death.

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
LISTEN to that, my baby tears are pretty much finished, never even spread off of the rock I bought it attached to. All my other plants are growing, but the tears refused to. Or the platys picked them to death.
What's your pH &KH? What fish you got in with the plants others then platy? What size tank you got vs what lights? dwarf baby tears are real picky on light and/ or nutrition.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it looks like the plants you suggested, angel other than one of them can grow in low-high light. thanks for the info

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
I housed all of these named minus the clover (in next delivery) and they done well with light ~1w/g current light for the dwarf baby tears is @ 0.7w/g so not exactly high end lighting there

·
Registered
4,806 Posts
So... if any of you have seen Angel's tanks... you'll know to listen.
Goofer! Don't listen to him, he's having a goofy day:oops:

Its really all about taste, there's tons plants out there that will work, then you gotta decide what looks you wanna go for and what $ your pocket allows - And have a good amount of built up in the tank, plants seems to like it rather then the obsessive vaccumer's clean tank :)

·
Registered
129 Posts
The clover I planted over a month ago is dragging its roots... not growing hardly at all, so keep an eye on the growth rate if you are planning on waiting (how many years?) for it to spread by itself... another option is to just get enough of the plant you want and plant the carpet right away without waiting for it to grow in.

Check out this link http://www.aquariumplants.com/Foreground_Ground_Cover_s/23.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts