Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 10 gal tank, which has been cycled and everything. I had put a rainbow shark in there for a while (the guy at the pet store said it was okay) but when I asked on here a while ago, the feedback convinced me to return it.

So now I'm starting over, and am wondering what kinds of fish will do well together. I'm thinking of adding a swordtail - and am hoping to add a few more like-sized fish. (I'm not a fan of the small, schooling fish) Will gouramis or molly's be good with them?

I also really liked the looks of Rosy Barbs (instead of the swordtail) but I don't know if they will fit in a 10gal.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
So you were able to return the rainbow shark? That's great!

How did you get the aquarium cycled in a week? Even bacteria in a bottle require an ammonia source and there are no longer fish in the tank?

Now the really bad news (I hate having to be the one that keeps saying now to you). Rosy barbs, swordtails, mollies, and the majority of gouramis should have bigger tanks. Unfortunately with a 10 gallon you are very limited on what fish you can keep. Many of them will be the fish you don't like. You need to look more towards a single Betta or male guppies or Endler's livebearers. Again though only if they match your parameters. Have you been able to find them out yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The shark ended up being there for a while before I returned it - and I temporarily put my betta (who normally lives in a bowl) in there since. I tested the water and it turned out fine on ammonia and nitrites/nitrates. However, actaullyI don't know the other parameters yet.

I was really doubting the rosy barbs, so that's not a surprise. But I forgot to mention that I was only looking at some of the dwarf gouramis - sorry for the confusion. I was only thinking of the slightly bigger, solitary, ones because it seemed like getting a whole school of fish took up a lot of space and didn't offer a lot of variation.

What if I tried:
1 swordtail (maybe felmale? if they're smaller)
I dwarf gourami
male guppies

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Kudos on returning the shark! It always makes me so happy to see people willing to rectify a bad situation and put the needs of their animals first! (and breaks my heart that pet shops are still giving such awful advice to new aquarists T_T)

It looks like you're on the right track, and I don't have much to add, BWG has already suggested the fish that I would have. There isn't very much that is ideally suited for a 10g tank. If you're interested in things other than fish, you could house a trio of African Dwarf Frogs happily in a tank of this size, and shrimp are always an option - as well as snails!

I'm not sure what type of water you're dealing with, and to truly do it right, you'll want to look into this before you begin stocking. Some fish require soft water, others need hard water in order to thrive - and there are a few who can swim the line, so to speak.

I'd definitely recommend that you treat your tank as if it hadn't been cycled at this point, the nitrogen cycle typically takes at least a month to come to completion, more or less depending on the situation, but better sefe than sorry in this type of situation.

Looking forward to what you decide to do with this little tank of yours - keep us posted, and keep the questions coming! ^__^

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay! I'll make sure to look into the quality of the water.

As for having different animals than fish in it - I really like that option. Unfortunately, my pet store has very little beyond the dwarf frogs (which really don't look healthy at all) and ghost shrimp (which I forgot to mention I have 3 of).

So, are any of the online sites to buy animals reputable? It seems very risky to me, but cherry shrimp would be nice to have.

·
Registered
176 Posts
There are all kinds of fish that work great in a 10 gallon, you just have to stay with small fish.

Green tetras, neon, celestial pearl danios, regular danios, leopard danios, pencil fish, harlequin rasbora.... AND you could add a couple of Nerite Snails - they are so cool, readily available and inexpensive!!!

If you want a REALLY great 10 gallon set up look at a pair of Apistogramma Pandura - they stay small are really beautiful and are very lively and enjoyable. I keep a pair in a 10 and it is one of my favorite tanks.

There are so many beautiful small species that are readily available and ideal for a 10 gallon. Keep researchin' and looking!

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
So, are any of the online sites to buy animals reputable? It seems very risky to me, but cherry shrimp would be nice to have.
Theshrimpfarm.com for shrimp .. My kids hve a 16 gallon with guppies and a bunch of shrimp from the they ordered behind my back -_- . RCS are a pretty good deal usually there. With plenty plants and very consistent water quality guppies and shrimp could work.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You may also want to consider dwarf corys. The are neat little fish and add motion to the bottom region. Pigmy gouramis would also work, just a pair. They like the dwarf corys are harder to find but worth the effort. You can always ask here where to purchase fish the store doesn't carry. You could go with a CPO if you leave the corys out.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Personally, I think you should leave the betta in there. It's a much better option than the bowl (they don't really thrive in those things to be honest). With the betta you could try adding some Neocardinia shrimp (though if you add those, you may wanna remove the ghost shrimp...I've heard horror stories of them attacking and eating smaller species of shrimp!)

I've had a ten gallon set up with just a betta and some cherry shrimp and to be honest...it's my favorite tank. It's incredibly peaceful to watch the betta just laze around and investigate, with all these bright little shrimp walking around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts