1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, gang. It's high time we give loaches their own thread.:wink2:

Kuhli Loach(Acanthophthalmus kuhli)
Take note that there are actually 4 sub-species.:wink2:

Pic is very poor but I will try to get more pics as soon as possible.:frustrated:

Clown Loach(Botia Macracantha)
(Some are blurry :frustrated: )

Pakistani Loach(Botia almorhae)-formerly Botia lohachata

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Loving the pakistani loach Blue.

Here's a couple of my khulies

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Kate.:thumbsup:

I like your kuhlis and the quality of the pics.:D
Mine is crap. They're too elusive.:blueworry:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
I still can't believe how fast they can move!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
katherine73 said:
I still can't believe how fast they can move!
Lol...yeah.:thumbsup:
There are actually 4 sub-species, not just one.:)
I have an all-black kuhli but heaven knows it's camera shy.:blink:

Message for Tophat665:
Tophat, if you come across this thread, make sure you post pics of your kuhlis and Botia striata.:brow: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
454 Posts
them khulies are great, i had some a while back, never seen them out and about, guess i gave them 2many hid-aways.

khulies at the lfs that has them are asking £2.95 LOL each :shock:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Mine were really cheap - 3 for £2.50. They gave me 4 for the same price though, as the assistant couldn't work the price out! :twisted:

·
Registered
454 Posts
thats a better price, mine was abouts £1 a few years back 8)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Here's my Clown Loaches. This photo was taken about a month ago when i first got them. I need to do a new photo shoot...
This is a bad picture i will update, dont worry, they have also grown fatter too:

Nick

·
Registered
29 Posts
khuli's and dwarf chain loach

I have 2 khuli's (need more)

I had 3 dwarf chain loaches but unfortunately 2 died,the remaining one has 1 eye.

Also have zebra loaches will have to look through my pic's (oh so many) and see if i can find some of them.

enjoy,Ayshea.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:shock2: Nice quality of pics.:mrgreen:
Welcome to the Kuhli Loach Bandwagon, Aysh.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Blue said:
:shock2: Nice quality of pics.:mrgreen:
Welcome to the Kuhli Loach Bandwagon, Aysh.:thumbsup:

Thankyou Blue,gotta love the Khuli's. :love:

Zebra loach.

Enjoy,Aysh.

Edited to re-add pic...it didn't work :roll:

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thought I'd whip this thread back to life.

As loaches are becoming more popular, I thought this will give the loachaholics the opportunity to share photos of their loaches.

Just as a side note, everything has been updated. Many more species of kuhli loaches have been discovered and I'm hoping I could see several of them in the flesh.:)

Photos not in good quality but I'll try next time.:oops:

Clown Loach

Side-spot pattern variant

I lost the saddleback pattern variant clown loach.

Yoyo Loach
Largest yoyo loach which has been with me for more than a year already. Juvenile stages can be found in first post. I don't have the other two anymore. Currently, I have eight yoyo loaches in total.

Patterns vary. This appears to be quite a reticulated pattern of a male yoyo loach.

She's not gravid. Just full of foods.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Photos by a friend from another forum who was able to take them. They're really amazing.

Clown Loach

Mouth

Barbels

Nostrils (should not be confused with 'nose')

Dorsal fin

Botia dario I believe.

Yasuhikotakia modesta

Close-up of the skin.:shock2:

Notice the 'pocket' beneath the eye? That is where the sub-occular spine is located which is used as part of the botiine loaches' defense mechanism.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've asked permission from the owner to use these photos for reference purposes.8) I will add them to Fish Profiles soon enough when I have time.

As a loachaholic, here the pictures go.

Pangio anguillaris

It's about time everyone realizes how entertaining and cute loaches certainly are.;)

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Fantastic pictures Lupin. Here's a couple of my kuhlies... not anywhere near the quality of the last pictures but the best I have.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is the best pic I can take of my Chain Loach (it's the rectangular shape near the bottom):

I need to find out what kind of camera I need to take crystal-clear pictures :(

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Well done, all. At the moment, I am keeping Botia kubotai, B. almorhae. B. striata, Regular and Albino (leucistic, really) Misgurnis anguillicaudatus, Nemacheilus masyai (probably, N. pallidus, possibly), and Pangio myersi (possibly P. kuhli)

I only have old pix, though. I'll see if I can come up with some better ones.

That's Groucho, my sand loach (N. masyai), from last Xmas. He's pushing 4" these days.

Half of my B. striata in their old digs. From last November.

One of my M. anguillicaudatus. Groucho's doing a barrel roll in this pic too, but it's under the watermark. From last November.

Mess o' Kuhlis wrapped around the airline. From last October.

I don't have any good pix of my Yoyo's or Angelicuses just now. The Yoyo's have doubled in size in the last year and completely changed their patterns, and the Angelicuses are really shy.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Stunning pics, everyone.:thumbsup: Tophat, that Nemacheilus is certainly awesome.8) Can't wait for more pics.:lol:

Yoyos certainly are the fastest growing loaches. I've had mine growing from an inch and a half to 3-4 inches now for barely two months.:?

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.