Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to possibly replace some bulbs. I hate my light for my 29 gallon, although the val plants look great, because the tank has a very dark appearance. The bulb is a T12 20W, and is 24 inches long (that's from tip to tip, is that how it's measured?) The fixture has a sticker on it that says 20W -- does this mean I can only use a 20 W bulb? :roll:

Same question for my 46 gallon. The bulbs are T8s, 30W and 90W. The sticker on the fixture says 75W. These bulbs came with the fixture, but I would have thought I could only use bulbs up to 75 W -- or is that per lamp?

Basically, if I want more light on these tanks, can I use higher-wattage lamps?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Call the manufacturer? I think the "USE MAX 75WATT" is a precaution, the fixture is probably designed to run a max of 75watt bulb, and if you go higher maybe it would possible melt or in some other way stop the fixture from working or even be dangerous?? I don't know, just a guess.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Then I'm guessing that the print on the bulb is wrong/bad, and that they are both 30W bulbs, because I've had them for about 3 years and no problems.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I'm sure the labeling on your tube is not wrong; I would assume that a fixture marked 75watt only can take 90watt bulbs but maybe they just won't run at full potential?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts