Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to start 75g up looking at lighting ? Looking for best light for the $$. Will be reef tank. Thanks for any suggestions....

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
LED lighting is the most bang for your buck by far, but it has an expensive up front cost. A good LED light can cost up to $1000 a foot! Even the cheaper fixtures are expensive off the bat compared to T5HO and PC and even Metal Halide, but you never replace bulbs. LED's last upwards of five years, you get the best lighting vs power consumption and if you buy a really good fixture, you can control the lights to simulate sunrise, sunset, clouds and even storms.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
Sorry, for this I have to post. Do not under any circumstances should anyone use a Marineland LED on their Reef tank. No one! Those units are J U N K !. And no LED unit out there sells for $1000. You do not need a storm simulating LED unit for a Reef tank.
I've got plenty of Links for units ranging from U N D E R $200.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Sorry, for this I have to post. Do not under any circumstances should anyone use a Marineland LED on their Reef tank. No one! Those units are J U N K !. And no LED unit out there sells for $1000. You do not need a storm simulating LED unit for a Reef tank.
I've got plenty of Links for units ranging from U N D E R $200.
Please share these links with the community for everyone to see. This is a public forum and non-members will also benefit from a public post.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Back to the Original Poster:

If LEDs aren't your game, I would personally go with a T5HO fixture. I ran a Current USA Nova Extreme Pro 12 bulb on my 150 gallon reef and really liked it. It was a six foot unit, so it was rather expensive, like $600 when I bought it. What size is your tank and how deep is it?

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hey Reefing can you post a link to that light fixture you recommend? I'm considering turning my 75 into a SW also and this way I and other new members can compare them. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Just looked. Cant find 48inch. It is 18 deep
At 18" deep, you could essentially get away with a four bulb T5HO fixture. You can probably get one for about $200. I like Current USA but these do not have lunar lights. Brands such as
and AquaticLife make units with Lunars, but you will pay for it. I have never used either of the latter two brands, but reviews seem decent on Amazon...

In a 75 gallon, 216 watts gives you roughly 3 watts per gallon. I have never been a fan of "watts per gallon" since it is all about light penetration and different tanks have different heights, so watts per gallon doesn't really work.

I always used a formula that comes to a penetrating wattage of at least a 1/4 watt per depth inch. I take the wattage and divide it by tank length (216w/48"=4.5). I take that result and divide it by the depth (4.5watts per length inch/18"=.25). This comes to a 1/4 watt per depth inch.

For illustration purposes, a 72", 3 x 250w HQI has 750 watts of light over a 150 gallon tall (72" L x 18" W x 28" D) would end up with .372 (about 3/8) of a watt per depth inch (750/720=10.4/28=.372). So in my estimation, getting that wattage to somewhere between .25 and .4 for a reef tank will help the animals thrive in this closed enviroment.

Rememeber too that different lights have different wattage power. HQI (metal halide) penetrate much better than T5HO and LED. Good LED's can penetrate better than Flourescents. I have owned every kind of light fixture and prefer LED the most. I hate replacing bulbs every six months...

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Just looked. Cant find 48inch. It is 18 deep
Forgive me please for questioning your tank measurements but I have 2 x 75 gallon tanks...
They are 48" long x 18" wide x 21" deep.

Are you sure you have measured right? Just checking since mods/members are quoting lighting for you, they need the correct height.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts