Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got some salvinia minima and amazon frogbit coming and I've got people telling me that my 1 T8 daylight bulb will not be sufficient for them over my 55g. Should I just switch to my double T8 or try and see if the single will manage? Would really prefer to stay with the single if possible....Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Not familiar with slalvinia, can't look it up right now either. Surface plants don't need the same light intensity as substrate plants just because they are so close to the light. I'd say try it out and see what happens. You can always add the light if needed.

Jeff
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I tend to agree with Jeff. But I would mention that with floating plants, you will lessen the light getting down into the tank, and substrate rooted plants might struggle.

Back when I had a 55g with a single T12, I went easy on the floating plants and barely managed. I've had Salvinia [this is a nice plant] in my present tanks with two T8 tubes and it thrived.

Do you still have the dual-tube fixture?

Byron.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Probably can't hurt, I thought those were the only plants in the tank. If its easy and doesn't blow your budget, the plants can benefit from more light.

The joys of working off my phone.

Jeff.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Now that I can see your tank shot, you already have floaters and bottom plants... I probably would have said go with two and maybe you will need to reduce the light period a bit. If its only the cost of a bulb, try with and without and see how it goes.

Jeff.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mine just continued to fall apart, just said enough is enough as their were just stems left on most. I remember you saying in an old thread that this is kind of hit or miss as a floater. I should have never even tried it, but I was having problems finding 'true' floaters at the time.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I cannot grow this even with dual tubes.
I've been looking at wisteria plants for the last three times at the LFS and considered buying one every time. I honestly don't know why I didn't, gut said to leave it I guess.... I suppose it was a good thing I didn't given my LEDs are probably not up to some of these light levels.

Might be a good test someday though.

Jeff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts