Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Want to know what's funny? Right now I have an algae problem in my 10g tank, and I've bought some Amano Shrimp but they proved to be more interested in whatever food that was missed by the fish, so I was planning on buying a few otos even though I have plenty of other fish in there already.
Here is the irony, in my 20g tank, I have 3 nerites snails and they've laid quite a bit of eggs on the glass and the driftwood, and some are starting to hatch already, even though there isn't any salt in the tank to begin with, and while I was thinking about giving some away to people who have their own algae issues or just want an interesting critter for their tank, that's when it hits me that the answer literally made itself known. So when they get big enough, I'll just take a couple out of the 20g and transfer them to the 10g to handle the algae issue, and still give the rest away so that way I won't have to deal with a snail overgrowth in the future.
How's that for funny little surprises.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Lovely....Nerites shouldn't have any hatchlings without salt, that's very odd. =o Maybe it depends on the type? If s, I do not know, zebras shouldn't be breeding and having hatchlings in freshwater though. Ever add any aquarium salt to the tank?

I had a major issue with my ten gallon a while back, shrimp and snails didn't really do it, but molly fry did take it down a notch. However, I had some major success with marimo moss balls. They take all the nutrients that algae blooms need to feed off of and continue. Of course at the time I didn't know they took care of the problem for me, I had read something on it soon after and said OH, that's why it vanished after a week. My other plants have not suffered from it, just the algae, no longer get spot algae either and in one corner I've always had a problem with it, but nowhere else. =) I recommend trying a few of those in there, give it some time, do your regular changes and cut lighting in half, that should do the trick, or at the very least help. Plus, it wont take away from your shrimp since moss balls are great in shrimp tanks, the shrimp eat little waterbourne organisms off of them, as well as food it catches. So they wont starve. =P

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the tiger blood nerites and I thought the same thing until they started hatching, and the only thing sodium I add to the tank is the Aquasafe to help take out the chlorine out of the water.
I do have a moss ball and some live plants, but there is some algae growing on the plants as well, and the only other algae eaters in the tank are baby platy, but finding them is just as hard as finding the shrimp. Right now my best bet is the snails since money is tight and I got to use what I have.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts