Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I am not an "influencer" unless you count my ragdoll cat. This is intended as rescue not an add.

API test kits help a lot for getting ball park values on water parameters.

The test tube caps that come with them are awful. They do not seal well, even if you press down. Many of the tests require shaking the tube and dangerous chem leaks/flies out.

Amazon is full of reviews complaining how hard it is to find graduated test tubes with screw caps that are easy to fill.

Tackle the problem from the other direction...
Burry Life Science 5ml Glass Graduated Droppers Pipettes Dropping Pipettes Fluid And Liquid Pipettors with Big Rubber Caps.

These are absurdly long but they work great. I only use them to collect a sample because rubber with test chems is bad juju. I then put the water into a screw cap vile. Opening the field of test tubes by eliminating the need for measurements or easy fill dropped the price a lot.

Now back to rinsing black gravel until the color stops coming off.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Big difference

First, I am not an "influencer" unless you count my ragdoll cat. This is intended as rescue not an add.

API test kits help a lot for getting ball park values on water parameters.

The test tube caps that come with them are awful. They do not seal well, even if you press down. Many of the tests require shaking the tube and dangerous chem leaks/flies out.

Amazon is full of reviews complaining how hard it is to find graduated test tubes with screw caps that are easy to fill.

Tackle the problem from the other direction...
Burry Life Science 5ml Glass Graduated Droppers Pipettes Dropping Pipettes Fluid And Liquid Pipettors with Big Rubber Caps.

These are absurdly long but they work great. I only use them to collect a sample because rubber with test chems is bad juju. I then put the water into a screw cap vile. Opening the field of test tubes by eliminating the need for measurements or easy fill dropped the price a lot.

Now back to rinsing black gravel until the color stops coming off.

Cat decided to knock the graduated dropper out of the dish rack. They came in a 4 pk so I just grabbed another. Big difference, its' markings are way off. Tried the last two with same result. Apparently 1 in 4 actually measure correctly. Bummer, they had such a fun mad scientist vibe. Cheapo baby medicine dropper from Wmart works well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Plastic with chem??

I saw all the alarmist warnings in the API master test handbook and figured it came with glass because you should not use plastic.

How long have you been using them and are you testing fresh or salt water?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts