Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, quite new to keeping an aquarium so please forgive me if I've missed something really obvious. I have a 60 litre planned tank, it's been running around 9 months and had no fish deaths until recently. In the tank I have 4 black widow tetras, 2 dwarf gourami, 4 pygmy corys, 2 rummynose tetras, 1 Chinese algae easter and 3 Japanese shrimp. Everything had been fine in.the tank with no disease or deaths over the 9 months. The other week I added 4 small lemon tetras, they looked ok but the following morning all were dead, they all looked half eaten! Now I'm not sure who's done the deed but I'm guessing the black widows they patrol the tank and can act boisterous with each other but never aggressive usually.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

It could well be the Lemon Tetra died and the other fish did some opportunistic feeding. Some fish just don't acclimate well and many look healthy but aren't.

For reference, with shoaling fish it is better for their long-term health to have at least 6. Maybe instead of adding a different species you could up the numbers of each Tetra species and the Cories to six each.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm didn't think of that, during the first day I never really saw anything bother them so maybe it was a case of them not adjusting to the tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts