Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had gotten some oak leaves a while back, but I had to get them from a park not my neighborhood...
My neighborhood has some maple trees and I found that you can use maple trees as well, I found some leaves to make a pile. A few have SOME color to them still, can I still use those?

Lastly, there's a kumquat tree right outside my apartment, it drops brown leaves quite a bit. Can you use those in an aquarium?

Here's pictures of them:

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Why do you want to? Adding organic materials that add to the waste load seems like a bad idea, don't you think?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o_O
I had oak leaf piles and the tank was just fine. I'm adding these for my kuhli loaches.

Several other people have done this with no issues as well.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Oh how exciting, I am going to get some soon too for my cichlid tank to help them raise babies later on. :)
I'm pretty sure I've read maple is fine too. And I would use all those leaves also. :p
Curious, are you going to take them out eventually or let them decompose completely in the tank?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll remove them one they start falling apart. My oak leaves where in there for quite some time before they couldn't hold together anymore. My kuhlis miss their leaf piles, so I had to go hunt for more leaves for them. The log decor wasn't cutting it xD

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
It can lower the pH, but it barely will put a dent in the number (especially if you are doing a lot of water changes).
Technically, yes, in practice, unless your kH is very low, it won't by more than a decimal.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got 6 more brown kuhlis to befriend my old man purp. I just got them today, hopefully they'll all buddy buddy together. I'm worried Purp won't associate with them because they're not striped like him.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
To your initial questions. Let the maple leaves completely dry. I have read that maple can be used. I have a maple tree, but with an oak tree I have more than enough leaves just from the oak. By completely dry I mean to lay them out (on paper towels or something) until they are brittle dry to the touch.

The kumquat I would not use, unless one of us can find data that it is safe; some trees contain toxic sap/resin. Go with oak, beech, maple.

I find that leaves in my tanks take several months to fall apart. Their nutritional value (as a source of infusoria food for fish, snails, shrimp) would be gone more quickly of course, but the leaf structure remains and provides an interesting layer on the substrate, as the video Olympia linked shows.

Byron.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts