Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I just went to the creek, and I caught two freshwater lampreys....now I need to know how to take care of them. I've got them acclimated and put into a 29 gallon tank...now I need to know how to take care of them....please help.....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
First, let me get this out of my system...
GFAAAAAARRRRGH! Ptui, ptui, *shudder* Yeech.

I hate these critters with a passion.

That said, I found this site: http://www.nanfa.org/captivecare/lampreys.shtml
Which might help. My bet is that you caught them coming upstream to spawn, and so no matter what you do they'll kick the bucket, but best of luck in any case.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, they weren't upstream to spawn...WAY too far from the ocean where I live....northern Alabama. One died last night, but the other seems healthy...he's eating krill I put in the tank.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
It will be worth your time matching the water parameters between the creek and tank.:) Wild fish often prefer the water conditions of their native habitat.:) Try API Master Freshwwater test kit to test your water parameters.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'm workin' on it now. I've decided to turn the tank into a natural tank containing only fish/invertebrates I catch from the creek myself...definitely including lampreys. Today I flipped a rock and at least 15 lampreys came out from under it...I didn't have a net, so I couldn't get any of them...freakin' things are slippery, I just gotta tell ya!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
tywtly said:
Yeah, I'm workin' on it now. I've decided to turn the tank into a natural tank containing only fish/invertebrates I catch from the creek myself...definitely including lampreys. Today I flipped a rock and at least 15 lampreys came out from under it...I didn't have a net, so I couldn't get any of them...freakin' things are slippery, I just gotta tell ya!
This sounds like quite fun.:shock2: The only wild aquarium fish are the stupid blue gouramis.:shake:

Have fun with your tank.:)

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
please nobody take offence here, im not accusing anyone of anything...but is it legal just to take fish from creeks/rivers etc?

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
juliewiegand said:
please nobody take offence here, im not accusing anyone of anything...but is it legal just to take fish from creeks/rivers etc?
I have reviewed the rules of Alabama and lampreys don't seem to be protected at all.:? And if they were, of course, that would be illegal. I would only advise, however, not to release any wild fish caught back to their native habitat to safeguard the native population for health reasons.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
ahh right i see. so it all depends on what species are protected in certain areas.

i think where i live you could only take fish that you would pay a fishing permit for like trout or salmon in that case. not something i shall be trying anyway lol

good luck with your lampreys - i hope the other one makes it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, thanks for all of your input! Well, the other lamprey died yesterday.... It's probably something with temperature....I need to work on getting the tank natural. I'm a little preoccupied with it. I don't want to talk about that, please don't ask. But I'm working on te tank right now. Gotta find somewhere for the fish in it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Maybe you could make a current mainifold with sponge filters and powerheads at opposite ends of the tank linked by pvc tubes yunder the substrate. Google "River Tank". One of the first couple should show you a design for one. I know that the places I've seen lampreys (garrrgh! Blechh) before have all had pretty good current. You can even hoook the venturi attachments to the powerheads to crank up the oxygen content.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
tophat665 said:
First, let me get this out of my system...
GFAAAAAARRRRGH! Ptui, ptui, *shudder* Yeech.
Why the intense dislike, tophat?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow! Thanks for you input everybody! This topic has done much better than I thought it would! I'll use all of your advice somehow I'm sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts