Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am new to the fish keeping world and I need a little help. I have access to a bunch of lake sand ( private property) , theres no issues with laws or any thing of that nature, however i do know they spray the lake once a year for plant population control. I do not know what chemicals resides in the sand and I was wondering if just boiling it would suffice or do I need to take further precautions. I know the easiest option is just going out and buying play sand, but I really like the look of my sand. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome to the group.

Boiling the sand won't remove any chemicals in them. You have to filter chemicals to removed them and anything that will catch them will also catch your sand so you really can't. So if you wanted to use that sand you would have to be willing to live with what every they sprayed with.

I would assume that the chemicals they are spraying are safe for the fish but maybe that is partly do to the water always moving keeping them from building up. Where in the aquarium they have no where to go so build up might be a issue.

If it where me here is what I would do. Get your self 5-6 buckets full of the sand(depending on what size tank you have it might only need 1-2 but get extra). Spread the sand out on a tarp in the sun so it will get fully dry. Run a rake thru the sand every day to move it around make sure it's fully dry. Use that time to remove any sticks, trash or rocks you don't want in your tank. Then boil the sand to kill anything that might be living on it. After you boil it put it back out in the sun for a few days to dry. After that I would feel safe adding it to my tank. After you get the tank set up I would do a lot of water changes to make sure it's fully flushed of chemicals. I would keep a extra bucket or two of the sand to replaced what you will vacuum out over time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very helpful

Never in a million year would I have imagined to get such a good response and so quickly. Thank you so much

·
Registered
381 Posts
I recomend pool filter sand, no additives. 8 bucks for 40 pounds around here. Natural lake sand with chems just sounds like alot of work for something that might cause you a huge headach later. Im sure 2-4 hours of your time is worth more than 8-10 bucks.

·
Registered
729 Posts
i agree with everyone else, buy pool filter sand or play sand, or whatever else

try to stay away from your lake sand, ... if they're using chemicals to deal with plants, a domino effect will make it inhabitable to near everything else, ...

poison/toxins are just that, ... try to stay away from them

·
Registered
887 Posts
I would just buy sand. There is no way to know for sure what chemicals are in the lake sand and what procedures would need to be performed to remove them. I have a decent chemistry background and honestly, boiling, sunlight, etc. will only work for certain substances. In fact, it won't even work on all biological lifeforms that may be in that sand. There are many parasite/bacteria spores that are resistant to heat, UV, you name it. I think you will have a major headache trying to use that sand, so although it may look nice, I'd just buy some if I were you.

Have fun setting up the tank though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts