Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay i just got some tips from someone to get these lights http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idProduct=TA6131 maby get like 3 to put over my tank then if its 2 much light use one for my fuge. My custom tank is only gonna be 8 inches tall so i wanted to know if these would be to overpowering. Also has any one had any experience with them( how long do they last, Are they the right colour Not to blue).

Thanks if anyone has used them can you take a pic with them on?

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
I think its tacky to, but everyone likes different things. I have 4 of the current blue moon lights.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its custom all i have to do is glue it an it's done. I'ts a 7 gallon, it's 12 inches wide 17 long 8 high. I want to know if i will be able to grow zoos and stuff.

I have 4 of the current blue moon lights.
You mean the ones im looking at right now or diff ones, and what are you using them for?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,591 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
I dont get what your going to do with that is it for night veiwing? if so than only on of those. And why would you put it on your fuge? what purpose does that serve? this thread is getting all messed up, mike just told you to get a 70 watt halid, were did that comefrom? i dont think that would make a good night light.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Easy youngster, you still have much to learn.

Those LEDS are intended for useon pico tanks as regular lighting. If it was me I'd go big. However a small PC would probably suffice. I've seen those LEDS in action and frankly they wouldn't cut it as moonlights.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think i changed my mind again lol. I might go with a 70 watt halide but i will buy a ballast and bulb and then ill buy a 10 dollar security light and mod it. Has any one had any luck with this?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Brandon the first thing you'll need to do is sit down and figure out what you want from the tank before anyone can give good advice. A 70w halide would be awesome for a pico SPS tank. It'd show some serious dedication. But in sucha small tank you'd want some very prized SPS and that can get expensive. You'll need to think about what colors you want to have, IE will one bulb do it or will you need actinic supplements. A very popular light for refugiums is the Lights of America flood lamp for $40 at H depot. It's a Flourex 6,500K light that generates some serious brightness. The spectrum is perfect for growing corals but the light is kinda yellow, your corals will grow fast but won't have much color. If you just want some mushrooms and zoa a 24w PC bulb might work.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First of all whats sps and the other one. Wouldnt a 70 halide work for softies? Im kinda confused cause dont coral need lots of light or do softies nee less cause i thought the rule was 4 watts per 1 gallon. So i could buy a retro build your own light? or not retro and whats actinic. Also are there any h depot bulbs that arent yellow? do you have a pic with it on?

Thanks

·
Banned
1,591 Posts
Go with the first one if you must because corals dont use much of the white light. They zooplankton that is hosted within them use the blue spectrum to feed the coral. How much are you looking at spending for a light?

·
Registered
675 Posts
dude those are 20 inches your tanks gunna be 17 inches? But if you dont mind.
You whant the 50/50 one not the 6500k that ones more fore growing freshwater plants.
Im tellin you this is what you want, they make a duel 15 incher(not shown) with actanic and 10 k that would be awsome for your tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11419&N=2004+113347
Or you could get this one in the 70 watt. I havent heard anything about this brand but im sure it would be fine for your tank.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=15489&N=2004+113352

1 - 18 of 18 Posts