Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys! My Koran Angelfish has problem with eyes- 3 days ago it became cloudy and fish try to hide her face in life rocks what she didn't do before.I don't know what a reason?help,please.
My tank water parametrs are:
-Nitrate-38
-Nitrite-0.5
-pH-8.4
-Alkalinity-250
-Chlorine-0
-Ammonia-0
I have 48 pounds of Life Rocks from which 23 pounds I bought and put in tank 3 days ago.mY TANK IS 75 gallons
-I feed my fish 2 times in day with mysti shrimp,or krill,or silwerside
I put in water 5 days ago Prime-reduser of ammonia and nitrate.
I have this fish about 3 weeks-all was ok early.
Any ideas? Should I change a water and how much %?

Thank you!)))

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
while i don't know much about saltwater, aren't your nitrite and nitrate levels higher than they should be? could that have something to do with it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No,i didn't cure.Is it important? I think these live rocks is ok,all my fish are fine,just koran angel fish not good.And what I have to do to cure live rocks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
If you bought the live rock at the local pet store, you'll be ok, if you ordered it online, you definitely need to cure it. I could tell you how to do it, but I would have to write a book. You can google it.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
while i don't know much about saltwater, aren't your nitrite and nitrate levels higher than they should be? could that have something to do with it?
I don't see the levels mentioned above to be problematic. Nitrites almost always register on a saltwater kit and are not the least problematic at that level. Nitrates at 38ppm might cause a problem in a reef, but certainly wouldn't cause this problem so quickly.

There are 2 very common causes of eye problems in large angelfish (and pufferfish). These are wounds inflicted in capture and/or transport, and secondly, alkalinity fluctuations. It appears that you did not quarantine your newly purchased fish, so guessing as to the quality of care during capture and shipping is virtually impossible. As such, I would look at 2 potential thoughts.

First, if the damage was caused to the eye before purchase, there is probably nothing you can do about it now. If you have a quarantine / hospital tank, you can remove the fish to the isolation tank and treat accordingly, but it is probably not going to be effective.

Second, if we assume the eyes are showing stress from alkalinity swings, we can take quick action to fix this issue and hope the immunity of the fish is strong. You should be adjusting alkalinity with a buffer, by testing for both alkalinity and calcium and using a 2 part additive to adjust both. If you are not familiar with this process, there is a very detailed article in our reference library, located here:
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/water-quality-reference/alkalinity-calcium-testing-important-every-marine-33079/

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

·
Registered
37 Posts
looks like cloudy eye (bacteria infection) which is normaly a secondary infection caused by poor water quialty or strees, treatment in normal myxasin, which is reef safe if used as stated on instruction's , also garlic based food is good to help boost immune system, and multi vitaims..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Water change would help probably (has helped me with fin rot in the past). I am unfamiliar with saltwater tanks, but maybe its the live rock? And your nItrite should be 0.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I would treat this fish separately in another tank with an antibiotic/antifungal and see if that will help. Your tank (75 gallons) will only be adequate for a couple years. This fish and the eel are both producers of lots of waste. I don't recall if you said how often you do water changes; I recommend weekly, upgrade circulation in the tank with propeller pumps and increase skimming, none of which can hurt.

Hope this fish pulls through, but I doubt the infection will clear without intervention. Still this is a hardy species, and it's amazing what fish are capable of. This is one of my favorite angels: good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts