Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all :)
I am relatively new to fish keeping. I have a 15G tank with a internal filter doing about 900L/hr, and air pump & stone and temperature is set to 26 degrees. pH is around 8 (still cycling) and i have driftwood, artificial plants and gravel.
A week ago i aquired 11 Neon tetra's (now 10, 1 has dissapeared I suspect he was eaten), 2 dwarf gourami and 1 kissing gourami + 2 golden apple snails. All on the advice of my LFS.

I soon realised the dwarf gourami were not compatible together so sold them.
I have now read that the kissing gourami will grow upto 30cms (!!), so my tank is obviously way too small. He will also eat the tetra's as he grows. So i'm thinking i will take him back/sell him. I love the tetras

Any advice on what the best stocking could be for my tank?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi Ritz and welcome to the forum,
I am assuming the dwarf gouramis were both male and hence causing a little tension in the tank without suitable territories. And you are absolutely right about the kissing gourami getting massive and too big for your current setup.
My concern is you said your tank is still cycling with all these fish in the tank. Have you tested your water for ammonia / nitrites? Are you doing daily water changes? I ask as I certainly don't want you to loose more fish.
WRT stocking, if you love the tetras then maybe look up characins in the freshwater fish profiles on this website. Very informative and in conjunction with using the stocking calculator at AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor you can add another shoal of different tetras or add to your current count of neons. But before any new additions I would let your tank finish its cycle and add any new fish in small groups (tetras in say a group of five) to allow your tank to adjust to the new bio load.
Some other species /you may be interested in could be corydoras. A small group of them might make a pleasant addition I.
Just remember to research the fish and use the calculator as a guide.
Hope this helped

Cheers
Titan

·
Registered
296 Posts
I like Titan's suggestion about cories. I love them. My tank is a 20G with 6 lemon tetras (bigger than the neon tetras) and 4 corydora aeneus and 1 bronchis splendans (mixed him up with "green cory" vs "emerald cory" so he is not the same type as the others). All of the cories do get along well and don't bother the tetras and the tetras don't bother the cories.

Check out the reference information for the different fishes to see which you like and which will like your tank. Some tetras can be fast swimmers and may not be happy in a smaller tank. Some tetras can be more aggressive and not get along with your neons.

My advice to all new to fish keeping is "have patience". Have fun checking out what fish you are interested in while your tank is cycling. Check out what your LFS stocks and see what different fish look like. Then, when your tank is ready, you can introduce your new fish and you will have better chance of them surviving and you will enjoy them because you have found ones that you like.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Also if your LFS doesn't have reliable info/experience, just ask anyone here for advice. I have not gone wrong with the info I've gotten from this site. Everyone is interested in successful fish keeping, not just selling popular fish that are not compatible.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With just a school of neon tetras and the snails you mentioned, this sounds like a suitable tank for about 5-10 shrimp. Check out The Shrimp Farm; they have a lot of good articles, if you're interested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts