Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, firstly, before I explode with photos, I want to thank you all for all the help you provided for me while I was planning my newt tank. It is set up now but not complete, I still need to put more plants and rocks in. I'm going to keep it a rather simple set-up, I don't want to overload it with stuff! I have an Elite Mini filter in to do the job too. :D
So here we are....

Here it is with just the backing:

Here it is with gravel:

Here it is with all the rocks chucked in, it looks rather different now:

And water:

Here's some pics of the newts:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just keep a very close eye on the temperature. They like cooler water, so a heater would not be of much use. :D
Thanks,
Kathryn

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Lovely newts.:love: I've seen them before in my lfs but I just have no tank to accommodate them.:shake: Now they're rarely available.:sob: A vast selection of pets wouldn't be that bad.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I'm lucky because my lfs often has a variety of newts, salamamders, turtles and frogs, as well as all the fish! :D
I was lucky too as the tank was only £15. In my opinion that was a bargain, for a 6 gallon glass tank with a hood. :)
Thanks again, I could not have done it all without your help.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
It's great to see the pictures :)
it's looking really nice,
are you going to put any form of greenery in there ?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks ever so much.
Yes, I will put a few plants in, but, seeing as they don't like too dense planting, I'll have to draw a line somewhere. At least with the fish tank I can put as many plants in that will fit! haha :lol:
Thanks eveyrone for you comments. They're much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Kathryn, that's a lovely setup. What size are the newts at the moment?

Also, how big do they get, and what is their lifespan? I have a spare 60 litre tank that I've been thinking of using for something, and this thread has me thinking....

Great thread :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks.
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I forgot! :D
The newts are perhaps 8cm (3 inches) at the moment, but i doubt they will gow much bigger. Their lifespan is up to 10 years, sometimes more!
If you do decide to make your spare tank into a vivarium, remember to show us the pics! :D

And yes, the shells are empty. I found them on a beach and thought they would look rather nice in the tank. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts