Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I recently put a classified on Bettafish.com and got several responses. I got a response from a user, that I have disclosed to Perseusmom in PM. The user told me had paypal and wanted to buy 60 fry I was selling, at the price of 60.00. I explained to him that, I had it listed on Ebay and, in order for me to pull the listing from there, he had to use the paypal BUY IT NOW feature, and I would go up to aquabid and cancel that as well. In order to pull one of these ads, you must not have any bids so, where he told me he was going to buy, I pulled aquabid before anyone could bid on it. He clicked BUY IT NOW on Ebay, which shows my auction as sold, and he had 48 hours to play.

He emailed me that he needed an invoice, which I sent to him ASAP. After 24 hours, he hadn't paid so I contacted him, telling him that, I had to fast the fish and, in order for overnight delivery (which is all I offer as, I care about the shipping of the fish), and get the fish there before the weekend, I needed him to pay so I could begin the process of shipping.

He never responded. He never paid. I am now in litigation with Ebay but, I can't even relist until this is resolved. Also, Ebay took the percentage of the sale so, I am out 20.00 on top of this, until the user responds. He signed up for Ebay, just so he could buy the fish, using the post I made in the classified section of bettafish.com . Then, after doing it, never paid, which now makes me unable to list again until it is resolved.

I just wanted you all to know as, this user cost me money I really needed, as I lost my job and that is the reason I was selling the lot of fry quickly. I cannot even try again because of the way he did it. This may be a joke to him but, for some of us, it's a huge hassle. I want to breed and sell Bettas for a career and, this is just so frustrating to know, people use these forums to scam. I appreciate you guys being there and, I hope other users will make them pay first, before thinking their transaction is finished.

Thank you so much,

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
That is wrong on so many levels! Can you please post the member's name here so we have all of this in one place?

I'm really sorry that this happened to you. We'll look into what we can do if anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt want to name, as I was afraid it wouldn't be right but, if it's okay, it's phikhanhs. He pm'd me on this forum saying he had paypal and could pay right away. I have all the pm's from here, as well as his emails and the ebay listing. I can't relist on Aquabid either as, if he goes into Ebay litigation and says he will pay, I will have to hold them. So, I'm stuck, either way.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Do you have his Paypal account name already? Do you have any other way to contact him (through e-bay) other than this forum?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted him here, on his email, through ebay and no, I dont have his paypal account as, he never paid. I have emailed him from my own server as well. No answer.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to make this thread wish4coner, you have helped to alert us of your problem with one of the members here on the forum which I feel is very important and you have helped protect others on the forum by sharing the name of this member from maybe having to go though the same thing that you did. Thank You !

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YW

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
I contacted him here, on his email, through ebay and no, I dont have his paypal account as, he never paid. I have emailed him from my own server as well. No answer.
OK - the reason I ask is because I just banned them from the forum for setting up multiple accounts. Perseusmom did some good detective work there :thumbsup:

As long as you have other means of trying to get your money back, then we won't worry about the forum being the only place to contact him through.

Again, sorry that this happened to you and although we can't do anything to get your money back, we do want to know when these things happen through a forum member so we can keep an eye on them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TY...I knew you guys couldn't help. I just didn't want him doing the same to other users on the forum, which is why I spoke up. I will check people out, from now on. I stupidly didn't set ebay up the right way as, it's changed. I would have set it up for no sales to people without feedback or new members that aren't linked to pay pal. I just don't understand why people get their jollies doing this. We have a respectable forum and very good members. I just have a feeling, he will try to do this again under another name. Sad..best thing is--I have his address..lol

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
TY...I knew you guys couldn't help. I just didn't want him doing the same to other users on the forum, which is why I spoke up. I will check people out, from now on. I stupidly didn't set ebay up the right way as, it's changed. I would have set it up for no sales to people without feedback or new members that aren't linked to pay pal. I just don't understand why people get their jollies doing this. We have a respectable forum and very good members. I just have a feeling, he will try to do this again under another name. Sad..best thing is--I have his address..lol
In order to keep them from setting up another account here, the IP address has to be banned. It's not something that the Admins. necessarily like to do because an IP address can be shared by other people who aren't jerks. We'll discuss it further with Yungster (Admin.)

You learned an unfortanate but good lesson about some people's lack of integrity. Not that you needed one I'm sure - but we all encounter these types now with technology being what it is.

It's not like the old days with actual cash in hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts