Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I wanted to start a post which I will update as I progress through my new aquarium setup. So far I have the tank and plans for the cabinet:

I want the cabinet to look like this:

And here are my plans so far:

*** UPDATE 09-24-06 ***
Did some work this weekend at my dads, we got the frame done as well as most of the finish work. Didn't start on the canopy yet, however. Here is a pic of the frame - it's built like a tank! Should be done next weekend.

*** UPDATE 09-24-06 ***
Yaaaay, it's done!!! Well the cabinet is at least, still need to setup the aquarium. My dad and I (with a little help from my little bother) finished this in about 4-5 days total. Total cost: about $150! What deal! The inner frame is constructed of 2x6, 2x4, 4x4 and plywood, while the outside is solid cherry, the panels inside the doors, etc are cherry veneer. It looks great, if I do say so myself. :wink:

Here are the pics, sorry they're blurry. My camera sucks, a lot. Let me know what you think.

Hey...I can't upload the second pic....have I reached my limit??

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Added new pic of frame (to first post), comments welcome.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Look great!!! Cant wait to see the final touch up. You may try putting this under DIY, well it would of been better to of gotten step by step on how it got done ;)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I can't wait 'till its done! The 90gal has been sitting in my dining room for way too long and I MUST set it up! Hopefully I can get it setup next weekend.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Can't wait to see the final photos, it's going to be great! :)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Allll done! Pic & comment added to first post. Let me know what you think!!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
jsm11482 said:
Hey...I can't upload the second pic....have I reached my limit??
Nope. You can post as many pics as you can.:)
Your tank looks nice. Any list of fish?:mrgreen:

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
jsm11482 that is absolutely stunning - I really love the cabinet. Good job :welldone:

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks!! It came out pretty well, there are a couple "home made" errors but for the most part, I am very pleased!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. Here it is with water, plants, substrate, and lights! Its not full all the way cuz I don't have a glass canopy yet and don't want to ruin my lights. Canopy comes in tomorrow. Here are more pics:

Canopy is doulbe hinged so it folds up flat for easy access.

Day time lights.

Night time LEDs.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Sweet carpentry! I'm going to have a similar task in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
That's nice, Josh.

I finally get to see your tank filled with water. The long wait is over.:thumbsup:

How are your plants? Still growing too fast? I have a Nymphaea stellata still growing very fast when I don't use CO2 and ferts anyway.:dunno:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Exactly how do you have the lighting set up? What type of flourescents, and how do the LEDs fit in? Looks very cool.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the 48" Coralife Lunar Aqualights Compact Fluorescent Strip Lights.

2x 65watt 10,000K tubes
2x 65watt Actnic tubes
4x Moon Glow LEDs

2.9watt/gal. Timer is setup so the 10,000K and Actnics are on from 10am to 10pm and the LEDs are on the rest of the time (they use barely any power). Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Awesome tank! You have aced the process! Looks great. Where is your filter? if its just me i cant find one! lol haha but it looks awesome and great choice for subtrate :D I would know i had to change ( which was hell ) so im glad you didnt have to go threw that. Looks great though. Are you planning on any wood or more plants? what about stocking :D:D

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use 2 (1 at the moment) canister filters which are stored below the tank, in the cabinet.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
are there any more updates here ?
:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts