Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Can anyone give me some advice on my fish,the fish have spawned twice but next day eggs were gone,i would like to know can i put any future eggs into an egg tumbler.T.I.A

·
454 Posts
Hello and welcome to TFK! I know nothing of keeping and breeding cichlids. I have seen the tumblers available. Hopefully a member will come along with knowledge and the answers for you. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Usually takes a new couple a several times to get the parenting right. Eating the eggs is often a sign of nervousness, which may be a result of stress. Might also be that they haven't found the right place to lay them yet.

Reactions: neil54 and Chesh

·
Registered
199 Posts
I don't think you need to worry about a tumbler..something is making one or the other nervous or a few cichlids are egg eaters. I've never had jewels eat eggs. They are pretty good at moving their clutch in the middle of the night..sure they didn't do that? If they are spawning on a rock, just match your water and steal the eggs. Put air bubbler right next to eggs and wait(80 degrees good)one to five days..

·
Registered
840 Posts
jewels

I've bred jewels and some are very nervous. Make sure there is cover and plants. Dim the lights or don't use any light at all. There should be no foot traffic around the tank, no loud noises like radios are tv. Young jewels somtimes take a couple of spawns to become confident enough calm down and raise the clutch. Somtimes they will hatch the eggs but then eat the fry. They are not hard to breed but make sure they have a quiet, tank location that is not too brightly lit. Also young fish somtimes take a try or two to get it right.

·
Registered
5 Posts
just saying... Ive had cichlids for 2 yrs and have 3 perfect breeding pairs in ny tank and ive never seen a baby. I work at a pet store and costomers keep telling me that their frustrated there breeding so much and its frustrating me. What do i have do to see some baby ciclids:(
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
840 Posts
Breeding is encouraged by correct ph, water hardness, perfect temp, and high quality foods. Also not too bright lights or too much water current. My fish loved live red worms and glass shrimp.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Yes red wigglers from a bait shop. They are much smaller and softer than nightcrawlers and large cichlids love them. Also, live blackworms... they're hard to find, but all fish got crazy for them. You might also try mosquito larvae and - from the bait shop, "spikes" which are maggots. They are great bait for ice fishing and aquarium fish love them. I use most of the frozen fishfood products from lfs- bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, krill... but for breeding I would preffer live foods like the wigglers or maggots, or if you can get live mosquito larvae.
Good luck!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just rehomed all my jewels because I couldn't keep up with the babies. The live earthworm advice is excellent..I fed mine flake, bottom feeder pellets, shrimp pellets (I recommend for pre-spawn), frozen daphnia, frozen bloodworms,freeze dried bloodworms, cichlid pellets. A procedure I liked to use was borrowed from betta breeding..that is keep the female in a gallon jug sitting inside 20 gallon tank where he is. Let them see each other for a week like this, then release her. They were both bright red two days later. Two days after that..eggs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts