The only method is to manually remove it. I've never known JM to appear on anything but wood--are you sure it is JM and not one of the brush or hair algae? Sounds more like algae to me if it is on decor and plant leaves.
I am sure it is java moss, I bought it to put in my tank in my 10 gallon tank in the bedroom for the fry to hide in then I took it out but some of the pieces must have broke off. It is growing on the plants, decoration, and in the filter pipe. I take it out but one of the decorations has little crevises that I can not pull it out of. Do you think I am going to have to get new decorations/plants to get rid of it? Or do you think if I take them out for a few days and srub them with a toothbrush it would get rid of it? I would show you a picture but I am at work and the tank is at home. LOL
Perhaps Byron is right. Looks like algae. Can you put some photos?
Java moss is a very slow grower and very easy to remove. In fact the majority of aquarists here are fond of them and would never take them out, except for pruning. I have a shallow tank with nearly a full kilo of it, water excluded. Very fine decorative plant over wood and rock alike. Just an initial fixing and soon they "glue" and become very pretty.
Good luck, Calmwaters!
This is very interesting. I honestly have never had, nor ever heard of, java moss growing inside filter tubes or on plant leaves like you describe, and as ironside said, it is basically slow growing. Hair algae can look like moss, at least to me. I have that on some plant leaves in my 115g.
For clarification, the top two and lower left photos are Java Moss, lower right is hair algae.
They do look alot a like but it is dark green like the java moss. I will take a picture tonight before I clean it and post it tomorrow. I still am inclined to say it is the Java Moss. On the filter it is like it has been sucked into the tube and is growing from there. It looks exactly like the second picture.
That is algae. It is staghorn algae. I can see how it resembles java moss, but its not. This is one of those pain the butt algaes that i never got rid of in my old tank until i overdosed it with Excel. Javamoss, ive seen cling to wood, rocks, gravel, and some plastic decorations and occassionalyl plants but once removed they will only regrow from the main plant and are never really that ahrd to remove.
Staghorn, on the other hand, is a big pain as it will keep comming back. James' Planted Tank - Algae Guide has some very good suggestions for removing algae, their suggested removal for staghorn is overdosing excel, but its a delicate process, overdosing too much can kill your fish and you still need to fix the overall root to your problem with is causing teh staghorn.
Thank you SinCrisis. That is it. I must be over feeding them, but I have been feeding them the same amount that I always have. But I did take out 3 cory cats as well as a couple other fish to put in my big tank so that must be the problem. When you say over dose with excel how much should I put it is a 10 gallon tank. I could temporarly move the fish that are in it to another tank while I am doseing if that would be a good idea.
Yes this is algae as SinCrisis has said, and he is also correct that the main thing is to stop the source. Algae need light and nutrients. In a planted tank algae is rarely a problem because the plants take the nutrients and light and provided these are balanced for the CO2 and number of plants, algae remains insignficant. What is the nitrate level in this tank? High nitrates will indicate excess nutrients from fish (too many for the biological equilibrium), overfeeding, excess fertilizers (if there are plants being fertilized). The light may need to be reduced, either in intensity or duration; you need sufficient for the plants if any, but if no lants then very little light.
I'll leave it for those who have used Excel to rid algae to explain the process. If the source isn't dealt with though, it will come back.
Staghorn Algae, isn't it lovely? I detest the stuff.
My algae was caused by too many WPG, which was easily solved.
What type of lighting do you have, what is your lighting schedule, do you use ferts?
Once we determined what the cause was (thanks everyone here for that!) I backed down my WPG and then did the following:
Manually pull off as much algae as you can.
Purchase Flourish Excel, along with an eye dropper and a plastic syringe. Dosing in your tank is a little tricky as it's smaller. Standard dose is 2 drops of Excel per gallon. (You can safely double the recommended dose without harming your fish)
Your tank is 10gl so that's 20 drops. In a small clean plastic cup count out 20 drops using the eye droppper. Then use the syringe to suck the drops up into the syringe. Make a note on the syringe where the *20 drops* line is. I'm not sure how many mils 20 drops is?
Then use the syringe to squirt the Excel directly onto the areas of algae in the tank. You can safely do this once every 24 hours. I normally run my lights for 12 on/12 off. During the period of my assault on the algae I turned the lights off for three hours in the middle of the 12 hour cycle, which means they were on for 4 1/2 hours, off for three, then back on for 4 1/2 hours.
The plastic syringe I bought was the type used for giving meds to dogs/cats. It was closed tip and you cut the end off for whatever size opening you need. Don't make the mistake I did. I cut too much off and the Excel just dribbled out. I had to go out and repurchase another syringe. You want a small enough size opening that you're able to "shoot" the Excel at the stubborn algae areas. Make sense?
In addition to spot treating with Excel I also purchased two C. siamensis. Since I added the two SAE's at the same time I spot treated with Excel it's hard to say if it was one or the other, or the combo that did the trick. Either way you don't have room for this fish in your tank and they are the only known fish that feeds on brush/hair algae. It's too bad the powers that be didn't make a dwarf species of this fish.
I did not have the problem in the tank until I moved it from one side of the room to the other closer to a window so the tank is getting alot of sun and artifical light about 13-15 hours a day. I think I will start leaveing the tank lights out while I am not home. I took out the plants and decorations last night, I could not get it off the plants so I put them in the trash but I was able to scrub it off the decoration. I left it out over night and will put it back in this afternoon. I can not remember what the nitrates are for this tank. I will check it again tonight I did not check it last night because I forgot my test kit at my office.
Also this tank has only plastic/silk plants so haveing the light off will be ok. I will get the Excel this afternoon and as soon as I see any starting to grow I will dose it as you said to. Thank you guys for all your help.
Aunt kymmie, that is a much safer way of dosing excel than what i did... I should get an eyedropper next time i need to do it.
Just a warning, be very careful with excel, its not an algae med, but co2 supplement, if you weren't sure what it was. Dosing too much can be very dangerous for your fish, as i believe it reduces their oxygen intake and could cause them to suffocate. Last time I had staghorn was also a WPG issue, which i fixed with floating plants, so thats also an option which is cheaper than a new bulb or buying a timer. Hornwort was only 2.50 :-D
If the problem is Java moss. I got some from someone for my shrimp tank. He put it on rocks and used one of those loofa plastic bath things and took it apart and used that for netting and twisted it on the bottom of the rock and used a tie wrap found in the electrial department to tie it up. I love this It is easy to control the moss and when it needs trimming you just take it out for a hair cut. The excess from the trimming can be grown in a jar for other rocks to start. You can also do this by getting one of those plastic square things with holds at a craft shop and use the same method to make a moss wall in your tanks. Easy to trim and it will not float around your tanks also you can make a moss ball with a cork and fishing fine and a rock for a weight. They sale these at the LFS and you can sell them on craigslist because people like the Java moss of baby fish and shrimps. Sound like you might have a hair algae problem. Do a Google on controling hair algae in your tank.
Hi all, complete novice here. I hope I'm not asking a question that has been answered several times.
A couple of weeks back I got a new tank to start a planted aquarium. Its half substrate/planted half sand.two days ago i noticed near to 200 little red worms poking out of the sand. Theres no...
I have a 10 gallon newly planted tank with a beta, 2 panda cats, 1 mystery snail and 1 otto (I have a friend coming for him, his original friend scooted out of the tank and I found him too late - he was in the corner like he scooted up the seam of the tank). I have a narrow leaf chain...
Ok I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this before so I could get some advice. I'm doing a year-long school project and I chose to try to recreate the habitat of the Betta Splendens. So I want to recreate a miniature rice paddy field in an aquarium. The main project will be in a 3ft...
forum community dedicated to tropical fish owners and enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about species,breeding, health, behavior, aquariums, adopting, care, classifieds, and more! Open to fish, plants and reptiles living in freshwater or saltwater environments.