Tropical Fish Keeping banner

81 - 100 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
ummm excuse me…pictures of the Carnivores :shock:……gulp !
Lol! Jes got it, but ya I have a collection of carnivorous plants. Venus flytraps, pitcher plants, butterworts, and sundews. They're only deadly if you're a couple of MM long and have an exoskeleton! :p

Actually, there used to be a small cave in the back, Jes. I would go exploring when I was a young girl. Came back all muddy! Just as kids should!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
ahhh yes,i've seen the plants…very impressive :-D
i remember someone posted a picture of a mountain lion sitting
on their front porch one time……i mean how amazing…a mountain lion…!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Oh no! We don't have those around here. Well we actually do have them in my state but in the mountains. I have a friend who had a close encounter with one. We do have bears around here tho. Thankfully not on my front porch. Only carnivores in my neighborhood are the plants and some foxes. Oh and me :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
On the topic of mountain lions. I saw a video of a mountain lion on someone's back porch and her CATS were taunting it from the patio door!!! Bad kitties!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Hahaha! Housecats can be full of bravado! I've seen a video of a cat swatting at a bear and the bear running away in fear.

There are a couple of cats that come to drink from my pond. I've only seen them a handful of times, but I'd love to get a picture of it.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
So I know I said I wouldn't be updating this until spring, but something happened! Not anything bad. Don't worry. For the first time in ever, I saw ice over the entire surface of the pond. Took some polar air to make it happen, tho. Before work this morning I took these pictures.

It's hard to see because it's so clear, but it's there! And a few icicles!

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
wow sheet ice…at least having the waterfall on it gives the
pond a space to gas off,unlike mine that will get completely covered :-(
new year resolution is to get pump and outside electric outage socket !

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Most of the pond surface is usually rippling a bit from the waterfall, but it just got soo soo cold the other night that didn't matter. I went outside again today to check on it and the surface is still frozen. I'm not worried at all because the stream isn't icy and the water is still flowing. But it's really pretty to see it all icy like that!

Thanks, Sandy! I do love my pond a lot. It was a present from my mother and the fish within are my oldest fish. I'm guessing them to be at least 6 or 7 years old.

Willow, having the pump going year-round makes a huge difference in ice! But that electrical outlet outside is a big part of it! We had to get one installed specifically for the pond.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
So I didn't think it would happen but we got snow this year! And it's a nice dry powder so it doesn't stick to the net. Makes for much prettier pictures!

Puppy girl came out with me, too. She just loves doing anything.

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
looks beautiful in the snow..and lovin puppy dog too. :-D

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Thanks! I was so thrilled to see my pond in the snow. AND the snow didn't melt immediately like it normally does. We (dogs and me) spent most of the day outside in the yard, throwing balls, taking photos of everything, and playing with passing dogs.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The pond looks so pretty in white, I love it! I'm surprised you didn't get any more snow - my dogs are tired of it at this point. It comes time to go outside and they look at me like 'do we haaaavveee to?' At the beginning of the season they were rolling around in it with the kids! ^_^

Stay warm, fishies! See you in the spring!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Chesh, I have a feeling mine wouldn't even touch the snow if we ever got some. Not uh, not going out there mom.

81 - 100 of 111 Posts