Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My platt has one large white spot on her “nose”. She is behaving normally. Could it be white spot?

·
Registered
85 Posts
They sell basic fungal infection treatments at your local Pet Store, in case it might spread to other fish remove her. You can put her in a specimen container or a container. if you do this you will need to change out the water every day. Fresh water is important and ammonia builds up fast. I also like to use a tiny pinch of MARINE salt as a booster to stop the infection. Only add a tiny pinch or a few little crystals because it can easily damage your fish and kill it if you add to much. Don't use any other types of salt they are deadly and will kill. Don't worry to much if it dies part of the hobby and fish are pretty weak.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thank you. Do you have a recommendation for a treatment?
First thing I do when dealing with bacterial/fungal infections is lower the temperature to as low as is comfortably possible for the species in the tank. This will slow down the reproductive rates of the infection.

The second thing I do is daily water changes of 30% ish. This lowers the numbers of the troublesome organisms.

As mentioned, adding salt will help, but you'll need more than a pinch. 1 teaspoon per 10 litres is about right for this situation. It doesn't have to be a "marine salt", any pure salt will do. Rock salt, himalayan etc, just be sure there are no additional ingredients like anti caking agents as found in table salt. Pure salt is fine. I wouldnt recommend removing the visibly nfected fish either as the tank is infected and needs dealt with, you'll just end up treating 2 tanks. Remember to add salt to the water used in the water changes too.

For the visibly infected fish, there are various products available for administering more intense treatments by bathing the fish in a separate container for 1 hour baths in a solution made up of the product and tank water. I'm unsure whats available in your area but seachem do a good one and are pretty universally available. Ask at your LFS and I'm sure they'll recommend something. I use an old ice cream tub with foam glued around the edge so it floats. I fill it with the medical solution, put the fish in then float the container in the main tank to maintain temperature. Daily baths may help, but sometimes the fish is just too far gone. Thats fishkeeping sometimes.

Best of luck with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts