Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the fluval flex 57L (15 US gallons) tank with no modifications and would like to stock it with 2 bristlenoses (which I have already), 10 neon/flame tetras and 3-5 cherry red shrimp. Would the pump and filter be sufficient or do I need an upgrade?

·
Registered
I have two tanks, one is cycling and one is a 5 gal (Soon to be upgraded)
551 Posts
That is way overstocked. The flame tetras and cherry shrimp would be perfect in that tank, however each bristle nose pleco needs at least 20 gal each. I recommend upgrading your tank or finding somebody to take the plecos and has the proper setup for the well being of the fish. This is why plecos should be kept in ponds or at least massive tanks. (100 gal or more)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is way overstocked. The flame tetras and cherry shrimp would be perfect in that tank, however each bristle nose pleco needs at least 20 gal each. I recommend upgrading your tank or finding somebody to take the plecos and has the proper setup for the well being of the fish. This is why plecos should be kept in ponds or at least massive tanks. (100 gal or more)
Ok, thank you for a quick reply! I will find someone to take the bristlenoses

·
Registered
551 Posts
No problem! I am sure you will find somebody who will take great care of them. People are always looking for plecos since they are perfect for ponds and large tanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
According to aqadvisor, the tank wouldn't be overstocked with what you listed above (95% of the tank's capacity), but you need to increase filtration. As plecos go the bristlenose is one of the smaller ones available.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The website you showed me looked really weird and I personally wouldn't trust it. Here are some links to to other websites about bristlnose plecos. Some of them even recommend at least 30 gal or more if they are sharing with another fish.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.