Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added two Corys to my tank today and the video below shows there behavior. One of corys who had been in the tank for a month never acted like this but now that he has pals he is doing the same thing with them.

water parameters are good in a fully cycled tank (0 ammoina, 0 nitrites, 10 nitrates and water temp at 78)

Eheim 2213 filter in a 30 gallon tank.

Is this normal for corys?

Video is at this link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZSgMI3kkk4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your link is not a link. when I clicked on it the cursor showed the string is just text.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
kinda normal.. However they seem to be avoiding the bottom a lot. Whats the substrate? (very cute corys btw!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3" Gravel, about 3mm rocks. I had one cory in there already who never did that until I got him those friends and now he is copycatting them.....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
OK... I suspected gravel. They don't like gravel nor is in really good for them. I am thinking the one you already had was used to it but they are schooling fish so now with friends they will swim together most of the time. When they eat they sift through sand and shove it through their gill to get food particles... can't do that with gravel. Also however corydoras will dart to the surface more if water is off. So I'd test Ammonia, nitrite & nitrate to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the quick replies Agent13. I wanted to change the substrate since my tank is planted but the pro at my lfs has been out sick for a while now. Any recommendations for a planted tank? I was thinking on using this japanese stuff by azuri or something like that. I heard its among this best in substrate for plants. Regarding parameters.... everything is at 0 except nitrate at 10. I use API test kits. Since I have been home they are not as wild on the top as they were when they were brand new to the tank. I used drip acclimation for 2 hours and ensured the water temp was the same. The way I see it... if my ottos are still alive my tank 'should' be good lol.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
My tanks are almost all jungles of beautiful plants and I don't use any special substrate. Sand is my 55g cory tank. I have Caribsea white sand mixed with tahitian moon sand and they love it and plants do too. I just put root tabs in several spots every few months.
Well sounds like water is fine. All should be good. They'll be happy on any substrate that is safe for them to sift through. You'll enjoy watching that! They'll enjoy lots of plants too. Sounds like you are off to a good start.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts