Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
did some searching today after work.. went to a creak in my neighborhood. found some nice pieces. they look like driftwood to me??

i know i will have to clean them, boil etc.

see attached =)

Attachments

·
Registered
256 Posts
Driftwood is wood that has been washed onto a shore or beach of a sea, lake, or river by the action of winds, tides, waves, or man. It is a form of marine debris or tidewrack.

So... Yes.

I'd boil the crap out of it so you don't introduce any weird bacteria/algae to your tank. I currently have a few pieces of driftwood I scavenged from the local river in my tank.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I have used "collected" wood, though it is always a risk. But there are a couple important points.

First, it must be completely dry, meaning that all sap has dried out; if you collect wood like branches out of water, this is easy to ascertain, un;like wood collected in water. Second, all bark must be removed; never put wood with any bark in the aquarium. Third, make sure it has no substances on it. Soak it in a pail of warm water or a tank without fish for several days to weeks; you want no fungus or any substance leeching out, or critters. Boiling might deal with the latter, depending upon the thickness.

Having said that, the only outdoors wood I have collected and used has been branches. I personally would not use large chunks, since it is impossible to know what may be inside that could take weeks and even months to leech out.

Byron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.