Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This fish was given to me. I was told its a Jack dempsey. when I look it up he doesnt really look like any of the pictures I find online.... does anyone know if it is indeed a Jack dempsey? Or some other fish all together?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
Yes, a Jack Dempsey. Looks female to me.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a beaut no doubt.... but we (the kids) named her(?) Jack... maybe Jackie will do?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea apparently the person whom I got him from said he wanted a community tank and he was alone since he got him cuz he killed everything. My tank was over run with baby convicts so i figured he could come in and take care of business. I knew the parents wouldn't let him get out of control and they would take care of him if he got too greedy. He has done well. The babies are down to a minimum and he is living very happily with all his tank mates. He is our favorite fish. So much personality. Him and the Green terror. We call him Gimpy Green.... his fins are all mangled from his earlier days but he is HUGE so no one messes with him anymore. When I sit in front of the tank he will come right up to the glass and follow my face. I think he is trying to intimidate me and bite the glass, but I prefer to think he is playing with me =)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You make me sound so horrible.... I am new to fish. I lost my gramma and took on her fish tank after she passed a month ago. Her tank was highly neglected and I know nothing about fish. There were hundreds of fry swimming around in the tank and I asked around/called around and most of the responses I got were to give them up as feeder fish. Prior to about a week or so ago I didn't have the tank at my home. I didnt have access to the tank daily. I brought this fish in thinking he was pretty and having a viscous past (according to the previous owner) would eat up some of the fry. So to answer your question Yes. Now the tank is here with me. The tank is clean, the fish are happy and I love them.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You make me sound so horrible.... I am new to fish. I lost my gramma and took on her fish tank after she passed a month ago. Her tank was highly neglected and I know nothing about fish. There were hundreds of fry swimming around in the tank and I asked around/called around and most of the responses I got were to give them up as feeder fish. Prior to about a week or so ago I didn't have the tank at my home. I didnt have access to the tank daily. I brought this fish in thinking he was pretty and having a viscous past (according to the previous owner) would eat up some of the fry. So to answer your question Yes. Now the tank is here with me. The tank is clean, the fish are happy and I love them.

Haha don't worry about it. The circle of life eludes some people. :)

Nice work on saving the tank, and welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
you used a fish for population control??
Nothing wrong with that, especially for Convict fry population control. They breed like rabbits and you can't give those suckers away. Lol

Reactions: Nikikim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you... Im thoroughly enjoying my dudes... and dudettes. Its so nice to have a piece of my gramma in my living room. Im so looking forward to taking on her passion for fish!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Its been quite the undertaking to say the least... I hired a guy to move them... he cleaned the tank and gravel and set it all up for me. He did not however clean the rocks.... I spent 2.5 hours on Sunday cleaning all my rocks, vacuuming the gravel and doing a water change! Holy hannah is it ever a lot of work! But honestly I didnt hate any of it!! As much as I love watching all the fish I definitely need to find homes for a bunch of them... way too many as of right now!

·
Registered
528 Posts
at first yeah its going to be alot of work but its kind of nice to stay busy and see the beauty of your work but maintaining is going to be easy once its all back to normal

1 - 18 of 18 Posts