Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys! I just had a tank, my aunt gave me a 5 gal. tank and I have 5 orange sailfin molly all females which was given by my neighbour. I'm very new in this fish keeping thing so I don't really have a lot of ideas on how to do this properly. I have read some furoms regarding a sailfin molly which is pregnant and as I observed mine, I think I have 3 or 4 sailfin that is pregnant. I'm not really sure so I need your help please. Are they pregnant or not and if how far are they? thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
113 Posts
Your females look pregnant to me. Try to sex them and see if you have males in the tank just in case they are miss sexed. If you do, you probably have pregnant females as mollies breed very easily. The bottom fin of the male under the stomach will be scrunched whereas the females fin is open and smooth. Once you have the females sexed, look on there stomachs to see if there is a black dot, called the gravid spot. The larger and darker this spot, the farther along she is. Let us know if you have any more questions!

Reactions: zabdieljai

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your females look pregnant to me. Try to sex them and see if you have males in the tank just in case they are miss sexed. If you do, you probably have pregnant females as mollies breed very easily. The bottom fin of the male under the stomach will be scrunched whereas the females fin is open and smooth. Once you have the females sexed, look on there stomachs to see if there is a black dot, called the gravid spot. The larger and darker this spot, the farther along she is. Let us know if you have any more questions!
They are all females, the have a fan like fins. I guess when my neighbour gave it to me they are already pregnant. How will I know if anyone of them is ready to give birth?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Once they get SUPER big, then start to look for the fry's eyes in the gravid spot. If you want to keep the fry, place her in the breeder tank/trap as soon as u see them. The fry eyes look like small bubbles in my opinion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.