Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female guppy that I just got yesterday has been chasing my other fish. She hasnt attacked or even niped at anyone but she keeps following my Molly (who’s also a girl)

The Guppy’s pregnant but I dont know how far off she is if that helps..

She’s also been chasing my other pregnant guppy and shes very hyper!
I dont know if shes just being social or if theres something wrong with the tank, but I’ll list off everyone in the tank.

my tank is 36 gallons and I have:
5 Neon Tetras
4 Guppies (2 male 2 female)
1 Molly (used to have 2 but one died)
And we’re going to get some sort of algae eater as soon as the tank grows some algae for it to eat.
I also got everything yesterday, but the tank has been filtering for a while so im sure the water isnt the problem!

·
Registered
351 Posts
My female guppy that I just got yesterday has been chasing my other fish. She hasnt attacked or even niped at anyone but she keeps following my Molly (who’s also a girl)

The Guppy’s pregnant but I dont know how far off she is if that helps..

She’s also been chasing my other pregnant guppy and shes very hyper!
I dont know if shes just being social or if theres something wrong with the tank, but I’ll list off everyone in the tank.

my tank is 36 gallons and I have:
5 Neon Tetras
4 Guppies (2 male 2 female)
1 Molly (used to have 2 but one died)
And we’re going to get some sort of algae eater as soon as the tank grows some algae for it to eat.
I also got everything yesterday, but the tank has been filtering for a while so im sure the water isnt the problem!
Sounds like livebearers being livebearers if that makes any sense. Nothing out of the ordinary. The aggression that they are showing may be because of the ratio of guppies and mollies that you currently have. When pregnant, female livebearers can get agitated and therefore show aggression. There's a few guys on this site that can explain it better than me. They will chime in soon. 🙏 ⏬

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
64 Posts
Chime. @Dartmouthseven pretty much nailed it on the aggression , I've nothing to add on that front, However I will advise you to get at least 2 more female guppies if not 4 more , so the females outnumber the males at least 2 to 1 , 3 to 1 would be better , as the males will constantly be mating with the females and they would never get a break from being pregnant. Also if you're planning on trying to keep as many fry as possible give them plenty of hiding spaces as the other fish including the mom will eat a percentage of the fry. Also be wary of over populating the tank, general concept is 1 gallon of water per inch of fish so a 36 gallon tank should have no more that 36 inches of fish.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts