Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my mum today brought home 2 platy fish from her friend he have MANY of them, he says they both girls and one might be pregnant. They are young.
6C7BA655-779F-444A-99ED-E86869B191F8.jpeg This is Rose the second one more with black spots is Sonia she might be too but she is smaller pls tell me if one of them is pregnant and how long. 0F06FFD6-0EED-4F3D-BC90-DE15AD443CFD.jpeg This is Sonia she is smaller ( both girls) they share food goes everywhere together

·
Registered
14 Posts
The first one looks pregnant. The second one doesn’t look pregnant but it’s possible. Platys will eat their fry though, so if you want to raise the fry you can separate the mom and then remove her once she’s finished giving birth. If the two platys are the only fish in the tank, some fry might survive anyways. If you want to give them a better shot, you can add some Java moss or other plants to your tank so that they can hide.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first one looks pregnant. The second one doesn’t look pregnant but it’s possible. Platys will eat their fry though, so if you want to raise the fry you can separate the mom and then remove her once she’s finished giving birth. If the two platys are the only fish in the tank, some fry might survive anyways. If you want to give them a better shot, you can add some Java moss or other plants to your tank so that they can hide.
Of course they have plants they are only 2 in tank because if they will survive we will get more they look like best friends they share food they swim everywhere together I know that I could separate them but I don’t want to stress them and make one miscarriage or even die because of stress it would be super if I would know how long she is pregnant and then think what to do because I would need to go to shop and buy breeding box

·
Registered
14 Posts
Of course they have plants they are only 2 in tank because if they will survive we will get more they look like best friends they share food they swim everywhere together I know that I could separate them but I don’t want to stress them and make one miscarriage or even die because of stress it would be super if I would know how long she is pregnant and then think what to do because I would need to go to shop and buy breeding box
I can’t tell you when she’ll give brith, but it is noticeable so it’ll be soon enough. You see her in person, so you’ll be able to tell when she‘s big with eggs. A breeder box is a good idea to avoid moving fish and handling another tank, but you shouldn’t let her stay in it too long since it is quite small. As long as you have a big enough tank, getting more platys is great. They like company

·
Banned
Tropical Fish
54 Posts
I completely agree with Lmg01 could we get an update are their photos? I know it's only been 2 days but it might be able to help me determine if they are pregnant. Also, if you don't want to keep the babies just don't separate them from the main tank and they will likely get eaten, it's better then flushing them down the toilet or something because they at least have a chance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts