Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to the forum.
In my quarintine tank last night, we noticed one danio suddenly had a side to side kink in his back. This appeared during the day, as we watch them for a while after every feeding. This morning I noticed one guppy curving her body side to side in awkward fashion, but she isnt stuck like that. (Wondering about possibly having a parasite making her bend strangely?)
Tank parameters are good, with only nitrates reading at 20ppm.

I bought these fish 2 weeks ago, and have been treating an ich outbreak since. Some have died, but I think it was the bad ich that they had.

Does this sound like TB? Or possibly something else? I appreciate all feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
This danio looks fine to me could be she's just resting my guppies look similer to this when they rest. The curve probably means nothing I wouldn't worry to much.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Size of tank?
10 Gal

2. Water parameters
a. Ammonia? 0
b. Nitrite? 0
c. Nitrate? 20
d. pH, KH and GH? Unknown
e. Test kit? API

3. Temperature?
80 F

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?
FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?
A little over a month ago we started cycling, fish were added after cycle two weeks ago

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?
Currently 4 Fish. Originally 8
2 guppies now, 4 to start
2 platy fish, did not survive ich
2 danios, still alive

Dead Fish
2 platy
2 guppy

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?
Yes, currently in quarantine

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
None
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?
No

9. a. Filtration?
Whisper 2-10i

b. Heater? Yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used? None right now
b. Any sunlight exposure? How long? A decent amount, all day.

11. a. Water change schedule? Currently a third daily for meds
b. Volume of water changed? 3 gallons
c. Well water, tap water, RO water? Well
d. Water conditioner used? None, currently medicating
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? Daily

12. Foods? Omega One
How often are they fed? Twice daily

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms? Suddenly Curved Spine, bending spine back and forth, ich
b. Appearance of poop? Unknown
c. Appearance of gills? Normal

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? Yes, for ich, and initial entry of quarintine.
b. What meds were used? Herbtana and Artemiss for first two days. Then, a big water change and ich x since for noticed ich outbreak.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do a complete water change, scrub the tank with soap and bleach but make sure none remain. This could be caused by chlorine so make sure you use dechlorifinate. Add plants for shelter and reduce food intake to once per day because they often get fat and lazy when fed to often. They might die because fish are incredibly weak so don't blame yourself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I have well water, so no chlorine there. The danio does have a good little kink, but it is hard to photograph. I took a short video of it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In my quarintine tank last night, we noticed one danio suddenly had a side to side kink in his back. This appeared during the day, as we watch them for a while after every feeding. This morning I noticed one guppy curving her body side to side in awkward fashion, but she isnt stuck like that. (Wondering about possibly having a parasite making her bend strangely?)

I bought these fish 2 weeks ago, and have been treating an ich outbreak since. Some have died, but I think it was the bad ich that they had.

Hi
They look fine to me unless the stay on the bottom without eating they should be fine

·
Registered
7 Posts
H

Hi Mlolane97. The stationary side to side is called the shimmies. Not a disease, but rather the fishes response to stress or parasites. It is not TB. The stressor for many livebearers can be too soft water. But I think the stressors may be more related to an unbalanced or not fully cycled tank. That said fish will also respond that way when their thin skin and mucous surface are first penetrated by parasites, which in this case is also happenning. My experiences with stressed danios is the bending you are seeing. The unfortunate issue with ich is one usually allways needs to break down the tank with a full cleanout with bleach. Let us know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts