Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I was just wondering we just got a German Blue Ram over the weekend, and he seems to be schooling with our red minor tetras. There about the same size as him. Is this normal? Or do we need to get him a friend?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hi I was just wondering we just got a German Blue Ram over the weekend, and he seems to be schooling with our red minor tetras. There about the same size as him. Is this normal? Or do we need to get him a friend?
I have had my ram about 2 months now. its just the one with 8 phantom tetras. I have a 20 tall so its not a huge tank but for the most part i would not say they school together. She will come and be out with the tetras from time to time and some times goes and finds a hiding spot. I know they say its good to have dither fish for them so they feel less shy. maybe its just hanging out knowing there is nothing to be afraid of.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I just didn't know if this was abnormal behavior and maybe it needed another of the same species. I'm surprised he's out an awful lot. He loves swimming around
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it :)

Once you can determine it's sex, you can try to get another if you want. It's not the best way to get a pair, but it can happen. Just make sure you don't get 2 males, as there is a good chance that they won't get along.

Now that I've viewed your aquarium info, I'll amend what I said. You can keep a group of rams in a 55 so it's not all that important what the sexes are - the tank is large enough for multiple territories.

So your tank's stock is.... headed for trouble IME. If you don't want to discuss that, that's fine.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
I assume you are asking about what I said about the stock.

4 minor red tetras, 1 pictus catfish, 1 common pleco, 1 African Featherfin catfish, 1 German Blue Ram, 1 Flame Dwarf Gourami, and 1 Blue Lobster.

Featherfins can get pretty territorial and aggressive when they get big. Because of that I have to amend what I had said about having plenty of room for cichlid territories. The crayfish is probably going to learn to catch fish, if it hasn't yet. They hunt at night - fish that sleep anywhere near it's grasp are at serious risk.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My German Blue will sometimes school with my 3 cory cats. Rams are funny like that with huge personality in a little fish. Ive always heard that you should either keep rams single or in groups of 4+. Unfortunately I dont think your aquarium can accommodate that much more.

·
Registered
118 Posts
One more thing. The Feather Fin, Pictus, and Pleco will out grow your 20gal. If you are willing to part with them or at least the 2 cats (they may eat your tetras when they get larger), you might be able to add more rams. Just an idea. ;-)

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
One more thing. The Feather Fin, Pictus, and Pleco will out grow your 20gal. If you are willing to part with them or at least the 2 cats (they may eat your tetras when they get larger), you might be able to add more rams. Just an idea. ;-)
A good idea at that.

·
Reference Team
1,573 Posts
I keep 3 Electric blue rams.. And they are in a well planted 55. And ill be honest here. Im Pretty certain they are all males and considering returning one. Proper space and stocking are important to have a succesful tank.

And am i reading correctly.. Do you have a featherfin cat in there? They get aggressive and too large for the ank size i'm gathering you have. And the cray. Well say bye bye to yiur rams and many others unkess you can retank everyone. All great choices but just not together and in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Welcome back to the forum agent13! Haven't seen you around here much lately. How've you been?

Reactions: djembekah

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Harharhar..,dont play. Its no secret. I got a man in my life... Well a reptile rescue too.
;-)
Must be quite a guy to land a girl like you!

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have since added a second ram to my tank (2 GBRs and 8 Black Phantom Tetras). The Male actually seems to be the one that is more comfortable swinging anywhere in the tank at any time, although he is the biggest fish in my tank. The female seems to be the more territorial of the two. I have seen her chasing off the tetras and sometimes the Male gbr from time to time. This is mostly after feeding though as she is combing the bottom for pellets that may have made it past all the other fish, which i find awkward bc she eats with them too... Either way i love my set up and all my fish seem to get along.

How easy/hard is it to tell if GBRs have paired? Sometimes they are following each other around the tank and other times they see, to just do their own thing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts