Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
96 Posts
i am adding water to my 55 gallon today and im getting my fish in 3 days
is this enough time to cycle?
Short answer : No ....unless you add a beneficial bacteria product such as : Aqueon Pure , Seachem Stability , Tetra Safe Start , API Quick Start or a similar product that creates a quicker cycled tank by adding beneficial bacteria.. Also be sure to use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine and chloramines.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Short answer : No ....unless you add a beneficial bacteria product such as : Aqueon Pure , Seachem Stability , Tetra Safe Start , API Quick Start or a similar product that creates a quicker cycled tank by adding beneficial bacteria.. Also be sure to use a water conditioner that detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, chlorine and chloramines.
Please don't make the mistake of adding too many fish at once. Even with a bacteria starter, you have to start out small. Think about how much your filter can convert Vs. how much waste is being produced and try to find a balance.

·
Registered
50 gal w/ Spoiled Guppies , Mollies and 3 Bettas in private tanks
96 Posts
yes 5 fish will not be too many to add at first , unless they are 5 ten inch long fish or larger. The commonly accepted "rule" more like a good idea is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water. so in theory 50 gallons of water can hold / sustain 50 inches of fish IOW 25 two inch long fish , or 16 three inch fish etc etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts