Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm new here, and I wanted to introduce myself personally to those of you who moderate.

My name is Deanna Hoak, and I copyedit fantasy and science fiction novels for a living. I'm 46, a mom of a boy (10) and a girl (14), a computer gamer, and as of two weeks ago, an avid betta fan. I used to blog a lot (before FB killed blogging ;-)), and my blog can be found at deannahoak.com.

I never in my life thought I would be interested in fish, but I unexpectedly fell in love with my betta at a PetCo a few weeks ago and am completely immersed in learning more about this variety of fish. I will always do my best to follow any forum guidelines, and if I overstep any, it will only be by accident. If I do, don't hesitate to let me know, and I'll be happy to rectify in any way I can.

Thank you all for the job of moderating; I know it's often thankless work. I appreciate the community I have found here.

Best,
Deanna

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Hi Deanna! Thank you for introducing yourself! I think you are the first to have done this, directly to the Mods that is.
Welcome to TFK and BF. We're glad you joined our community!
If you visit via Bettafish.com come on over to tropicalfishkeeping.com and chat in our Chat room some time. You have enough posts to get in, no problem. It's most active at night. You will find me there once in awhile. I look forward to chatting with you.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Hi, Deanna! Really sweet of you to drop in and give a personal hello! Right back at you, glad you found TFK - it is a wonderful community, and I'm sure you'll find a lot of like-minded fish lovers to help you learn - and who will happily listen to your random fishy babbling (if you're anything like me, that is!). Your situation sounds similar to mine - I'm STILL surprised at my endless love of all things fishy ^.^

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hi Deanna :wave:

Welcome to the forum and thank you for your kind words.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Welcome :) Sounds like we have a lot in common.. hope you have fun on the forums.. and bettas - gotta love them!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Hi there Deanna and welcome to the forum ! Thanks so much for your kind words, we are happy you found and joined us and I hope you enjoy your time on the forum and your Betta, they are amazing little guys !!!!

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
Welcome indeed to TFK and BF.:cheers:

Byron.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much. I just bought a completely set up tropical freshwater community last night (this lovely 46 gallon here), so I will be over on tropicalfishkeeping as well! I so much hope I am up to taking care of such a gorgeous setup.

Very seriously, though, I have noticed from time online that communities are only as good as their moderators, so you all must be doing a wonderful job. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Love it! What a wonderful way to get started! I'd love to hear your experiences as your tank grows, have you started a tank log thread yet?
Thank you for sharing such kind words!

We all love it here, and do our best to keep TFK a happy place to be, it's so NICE to hear positive feedback from our members!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you! I feel a bit as though I'm diving into the deep end, but I am ridiculously crazy about the tank. I felt dreadfully sorry for the guy selling it--he literally cried. But he was moving to Europe and obviously couldn't take it with him. He's been wonderful about answering questions.

I haven't started a tank log. I will have to Google it to see what one is. :) I did download the full version of the AquaPlanner app for my iPhone, because I like the idea of being reminded when things need to be done. I haven't input all the data for this tank yet, though.

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Poor guy! I'd cry if I had to give my tank away, too. I'm sure he felt better to give it to someone like you, though. I would! AquaPlanner is fantastic, I always fail just short of being that organized!

No need for Googling, look here first: Aquarium Photography
Tank logs/journals are just threads that we start to babble about and post videos/pictures of our individual tanks. It never hurts to keep a record, and I just love watching people's tanks grow! They end up in various areas of the forum, but you'll find several in there to give you an idea. Come play, if you feel so inclined! ^.^

1 - 14 of 14 Posts