Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been running my 29 gallon with 12 fancy guppies for nearly 4 or 5 months.
I want to know if it is safe to introduce 10 guppies at once?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes you can as long as they a the only fish in the tank. -I'd have some sor of cleanup crew like shrimp or a crayfish if your ank tank isn't planted planted. Depending on your source you may to QT them for 2-6 weeks,

I'd do a 20% water change per week for ath least the first month.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Source is good but you can never be to sure. They use individual pumps and filters on each tank. I have a lightly planted tank but it's growing well. I do twice a month water change but that will change if i buy the new fish today.
The importation of shrimps are prohibited. But i manual clean my tank and the plants aren't too dirty. Just use my finger

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The clean up crew henningc is talking about will eat the extra food and help clean up the waste from the fish. If shrimp won't work make some cory cats or some other type of cat fish. While you can get a lot by hand you can't get it all so something that lives in the tank does help.

Those look like adults but it hard to say how old they are.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Treating tank for fin rot with aquarium salt. New fish i bought messed up my tank. Hope it doesn't affect too much. Need to get a quarantine tank. Won't the cory cats be too big?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Cory cats will get to be 2"-3" depending on what type you get. They like schools of 5-6 but do a great job keeping eating the left over food, just make sure you feed them also. I use shrimp pellets to sink to the bottom for them to eat.

Quarantine tanks are very important. I have not always used them and I know waiting the 30 days can be hard but I have lost every fish in the tank because of illness and I won't risk it anymore.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
you have a few choices, watch Craigslist or even the $1 per gallon sale both will get you a 10g tank for $10 or less. Pick up a heater off amazon ($10 or less) and get a air pump with sponge filter. Everything could be got less than $30 easy.

It is always good to have a extra heater around just in case and having a sponge filter is always a good idea. I like to keep extra sponge filters in my tanks just in case I have to set up a tank in a hurry. That way if you find a good deal on fish you can come home, fill up a tank(treat water), move a filter over and add fish. Then let the tank go for 30 days and if everyone is healthy add them to your main tank and the filter goes also.

Another option is a rubber maid tote, you can find those for less than $20 that are pretty large just make sure it is strong enough to hold water. Just add your sponge filter and heater, you can't see the fish as well but they will do fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Had to add that im from South Africa so most things are a bit more expensive. I have a sponge filter and internal filter in my current tank. Will get another tank first. Just need a heater. Current air pumphas two outputs

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you only need to quarantine the fish you can use a 5 gallon bucket if they are small, your heater and filter will fit in that just fine. You don't need anything fancy just something fish safe.
So i can use the 10 liter bucket i use for water changes. Thanks. Will buy a heater soon and set it up everytime i buy new fish

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
So i can use the 10 liter bucket i use for water changes. Thanks. Will buy a heater soon and set it up everytime i buy new fish

As long as your fish are small that shouldn't be a issue. I have seen photos of Betta breeders in Asia what keep fish in all kinds of stuff. Just has to be safe for the fish and large enough to not stress them out while they are there.

If something does happen to your new fish you will have to clean the bucket very well. I suggest hot water then allow it to air dry for 3-4 days then repeat cleaning and drying. From what I have seen most stuff the fish will catch can't live for a week without water, so drying for a few weeks will remove most stuff.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Thanks once again. I will posted again once i have everything sorted. Hope my guppies survive fin rot
Very welcome. Lots and lots of water changes should help clear it up.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wish i could get clearer pictures but this is how they look. Not sure anymore if it it fin rot or just guppy nipping. Wish someone could make it clear to me. Treated them with lots of water changes and salt

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts