Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! It's been a while since I posted on this forum. Last I posted, I was setting up a 29 gallon. Now I have a new 60 gallon that I plan on having as a peacock tank. Right now I have an AquaClear 70 on the left side of my tank. I just purchased a Fluval 306 that I plan on placing on the right side, and I was wondering if it matters which way to put the intake tube and outlet tube.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Ideally the 2 should be as far away from each other as possible but situations don't always allow for that... so you can also have the intake low at the bottom where it normally sits and the output shooting down the length as I have it or out a spray bar across an end. The end set up creates a water flow down the tank like a river and you'll find your fish all pointed one way swimming "up stream" sometimes. I don't think there's a wrong way to set it up really.
Many would argue too that having the 2 types of filters allows you to keep the floss/fine filtering materials in the HOB for easy cleaning, removal and replacement. That is probably the number one downfall of the canister filters is that we get lazy with changing them as they do not need to be cleaned as others. Watch for low flow on the output as an indicator that the filter needs maintenance.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hello friends:
I would think that you could reduce your output water velocity by adding 90 degree turns to the output tube might slowly alter the output to a laminar flow rate instead of a turbulent river flow.

Agent 13 I am sure will have much input on this subject; she has many filters on her tanks and turns the water over 100’s times an hour maintaining a very high GPH rate. Keeping the water crystal clear and having happy fish.

pop

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.