Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my grand father has a 5 gallon tank with 2 convict cichlids. Well, he has given it to me since his health has declined, and im not sure what to do? I think a 5 gallon is pretty small, but since they are highly aggressive, I don't want to put them in my other tank. It is a fully planted tank, and i do a 20% water change at 10 p.m. after work every 2 days. Will it work? They seem pretty happy and never fight with each other. It has a 10 gallon filter on it along with an air stone and heater.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, Thank you JDM. I think they will be fine as long as i keep up on maintenance. They have had many batches of fry in this tank, so im assuming they are happy enough. I might look into making an overall 40 gallon upgrade, do you think they would be fine in a community in a tank of this size? The only problem is that it might be awhile before i get to doing so... I also put 2-3 drops of prime in the tank daily to help buffer any toxins that might build up.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Oh wait... It says 40 gallons for a pair alone :-?
Yah.

I'm not a cichlid keeper so I can't advise you on what you can get away with. I looked at dwarf cockatoo cichlid once but decided against them... that's as close as I got.

Someone else may chime in.

Oh, it helps if you put some context into the post subject line initially... specific queries get better feedback

Jeff.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Only if you get to it within 20 minutes of posting it... and I am not sure that you can edit the title at all, haven't tried.

You might consider starting it in the Tropical fish section as it's more related directly to fish than the setup.... and start with something like "inherited cichlids in too small a tank" in the title.

Jeff.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello everyone, my grand father has a 5 gallon tank with 2 convict cichlids. Well, he has given it to me since his health has declined, and im not sure what to do? I think a 5 gallon is pretty small, but since they are highly aggressive, I don't want to put them in my other tank. It is a fully planted tank, and i do a 20% water change at 10 p.m. after work every 2 days. Will it work? They seem pretty happy and never fight with each other. It has a 10 gallon filter on it along with an air stone and heater.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You guys might have seen this post in the Fish tank section of the forum, I moved it over here because it is more about the fish rather than the tank.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Don't worry about it, maybe PM a mod and ask if they can do anything... eventually it will get buried but put a link in your last post to the new post so people don't answer here, they can answer over there.

Jeff.

·
Registered
22,557 Posts
I came across the two threads and merged them into one.

Byron.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The best possible advice I could give you right now would be to choose from 2 available options.

1.) Give the fish to the local pet/fish store.
2.) Upgrade the aquarium as soon as possible.

A 5 Gallon aquarium is not suited for one convict, much less 2. If you intend to keep the breeding pair and the fry, then I would recommend a tank no less than 55 Gallons. Your other option would be to get the 40 Gallon aquarium and allow the convicts to breed in the 40 gallon aquarium and transfer the off spring to the 5 gallon aquarium where you can sell them or give them away.

Point period is that regardless of PWC or water conditions, the tank is simply not adequate to house those fish.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok thank you Guys, I think im going to start looking into getting a new tank. Right now the Convicts are still juvenile and less than 2" each so that should buy some time to get a new tank!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts