Registered
184 Posts
Whats you plan as far as livestock?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Livestock for cycling and fine tuning setup

These are for cycling and to improve the bioload capabilities over next few months.
I will be removing Yellow Tang in order to place a Desjardini sailfin tang in display as soon as the right one comes along.:lol:
I will be adding African Blue Star Leopard Wrasse when pods are established.
I have a Rose Bubble tip Anemone waiting in another tank.
I will be adding clownfish but not sure maybe True Percula pair.
I have been researching this tank for 2 years and have spent 7 months so far designing and building. Now is fine tuning time.

That is all I have decided on for sure due to the limited selection from that region at LFS.

I have added over time in display:
1 3 stripe damsel
1 Bluefin damsel
1 Talbot's Damsel
1 Yellow Tang
1 Black Barred Convict Goby
1 Deep sea yellow Gorgonian (Caribbean)

I have added in display:
3 hemits
1 large snail ( wondering what it is?)
3 nassarius snails

I have added in 17 gallon refugium:
1 Domino Damsel
3 hermits
3 types of green macroalgae
1 type of red macroalgae

Attachments

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
could you post a refugium shot when you get the chance please?

be careful with the leopard wrasse, truely beautiful, truely delicate. hows that gorg working out for you? what have you been feeding it?

have you considered a black background to go with the black stand for the tank?

welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gorgonian and Leopard wrasse

Thank you everyone

I have been studying the LFS's Leopard wrasse for about a year and it has been healthy and active.
The food source has to be live and growing in the tank and or other tank.
The sand needs to somewhat deep and fine for when the Leopard wrasse is frightened he does not hit the bottom glass.
I am able to get live sand with their food source abundant and plan to add 20 to 30 more pounds over time.
These projects will test even the most patient. I have geared down on buying livestock for a month or two.

The refugium is a work in progress and would love to get sea grass if anyone knows a source.
I am adding 12" light on the glass in the middle of the 55 gallon tank.

(Sigh of relief) I have spent the money on the SWC cone skimmer. I will be adding as soon as I build stand.

The Gorgonian is doing great with almost 98% of polyps out every day. I target feed branch by branch with marine snow and add frozen reef plankton for fish and dusters and goby.
I was worried for 2 days after purchase and was rewarded for my patience.

I am glad to be a part of something that can only bring knowledge and awareness to the whole.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Red Sea Desjardin's Sailfin Tang

I have been waiting but could not pass up this little guy or girl. :-D
I will post some pics when the tang has become a little less shy.

I have added the SWC 160 protein skimmer and it works amazing in the short period of time I have been running it.
Does anyone use this protein skimmer? Is the depth of water an issue?

I guess I got a shot of my very reclusive Black Barred Convict Goby/ Gecko Goby.
I added a Stellate Dragonet. He is a a really cool dragonet.
He has got his yellow cheeks with iridescent blue spots after about a week.
He is getting thawed mysis shimp and live sand critters.

Tank Parameters:
Nitrate 2.5 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
PH 8.4
Salinity 1.025

Attachments

·
Registered
671 Posts
WOW! Looking nice!!! :)

Can I ask what the purpose is of adding O2 to the 'fuge with the airstone?

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Can I ask what the purpose is of adding O2 to the 'fuge with the airstone?

i saw that too, and thought your salt creep around the sump must be bad from it. air stones dont really "add" air to the water by pumping it in but rather add it by disrupting the surface tension to allow for more gas exchange. since you have an overflow, sump, skimmer... i think your getting plenty of gas exchange.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Airstone in sump

Thank you for the compliments.
I have an airstone in display and refugium for oxygenation. I have always had them for the last 25 years in all tanks.
I try to replicate the reef environment as close to what I see and read. I have them to move water also.
There is a domino damsel in the refugium, so I have had since the setup started.
The tank and the refugium were cycled separatly and have seen no ill effects from having it.
The water is brought up from bottom of refugium by the air bubbles, so powerhead is not needed.
The refugium is 15 inches deep and 17 gallons.
Salt creep is very little.
My overflow output is below water line by 3-4 inches so no water surface disruption except bubbles from dropping into tube from display.
There is a glass cover over return water section.
I believe the surface needs to be broken not just moved around for gas exchange to take place.
Correct?

The best time to dive is when there is no swell or water disruption but when the water is moving the fish activity goes up I believe. This is translated by myself into water commotion will be best for my aquarium friends.
I do not understand why microbubbles are so widely disliked except they are not good for viewing.
I am more interested in replicating the natural environment and caring for my aquarium friends.
I usually have about 4 powerheads in main tank. Water movement is naturally occurring on all reefs, so are microbubbles.

I do not have a lot of coral. I am curious about the bubbles affecting the coral in some way?
Is there a problem with the coral and microbubbles?

Thanks

·
Registered
671 Posts
I was just curious about the airstone being in there as I have never seen anyone do it for saltwater before. Thanks :)

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Great Job! I love the look of salt water but doubt I will ever have one. I certainly enjoy looking at pictures of other peoples aquariums and yours is no exception. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have never heard of a Domino in the fuge, or the bubbles, but it's always great to try something new. Who knows what you might find out. Now I kind of want to try the Domino with my new build.

I don't know though. As I am a beginner, what would be the ultimate benefit of putting one in the fuge?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
African Blue Star Leopard Wrasse and Red Sea Sailfin Tang

Here are some of the larger inhabitants that I have added.:-D:-D
I have added Marshall Islands Electric blue hermit and some large zoos.
Will post pics later.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts