Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come to learn through these forums and others like it, that my beginnings with this hobby are cliche. My youngest daughter received a goldfish and small, cheap 2.5 gallon tank as a present. (Yes, I know ... now) Due to my wife's diligence, he actually managed for a bit, but we started to see signs of stress as he got bigger. That is when I started doing some research. Over the past week I got a crash course in water chemistry, ammonia cycles, and recommended tank sizes. Hearing of our plight, my wife's uncle offered to bring us a 40 gallon he was no longer using this weekend (He lives 450 miles away). Unfortunately the fish died this morning.

He's still going to come down, in a couple of weeks, and now I'm doing some research on what I want to do with it. I'll be doing a fishless cycle and make sure that I choose fish that go well with the water in my house.

·
Registered
645 Posts
too bad about your goldfish.

good idea to go with something that works with your water. you will have less headaches when it comes to ph.

·
Administrator
9,804 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum :wave:

Sorry to hear about Mr. or Ms. goldfish but am excited for you to have a nice new (to you) tank to set up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've come to learn through these forums and others like it, that my beginnings with this hobby are cliche. My youngest daughter received a goldfish and small, cheap 2.5 gallon tank as a present. (Yes, I know ... now) Due to my wife's diligence, he actually managed for a bit, but we started to see signs of stress as he got bigger. That is when I started doing some research. Over the past week I got a crash course in water chemistry, ammonia cycles, and recommended tank sizes. Hearing of our plight, my wife's uncle offered to bring us a 40 gallon he was no longer using this weekend (He lives 450 miles away). Unfortunately the fish died this morning.

He's still going to come down, in a couple of weeks, and now I'm doing some research on what I want to do with it. I'll be doing a fishless cycle and make sure that I choose fish that go well with the water in my house.
I would recommend 2 fancy goldfish for a 40 gallon and maybe some ghost shrimp/snails. My favorite goldfish are Black Moors (coolest fish ever) and Fantails (simple yet visually pleasing).

Reactions: steveysquish

·
Registered
9,426 Posts
hello and warm welcome to you.:-D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Your plight is a common one.... i think that most people that enter into the fish keeping hobby "assume" that it is easy and gold fish need little care....sooner of latter it becomes apparent... those made for the hobby learn from their mistakes and move on...making plans for the 40 G sounds like you are advancing...Welcome to the site... I came here because I was planning on starting a salt water tank....I am an along time tropical fish and pond keeper but knew little ( not nearly enough) about keeping briney critters... after reading hundreds of posts and replies... I have started my build... I would not be as confident about my sucess with out the knowledge I gained from this site........ I've learended alot here.. and so will you... sometimes the criticisims will seem unfair, but in the end everyone here is your friend and want only what's best for you and your fish... enjoy the ride..BTW... goldies are messy litle dudes and can foul up the water real quck....;-)

Reactions: willow
1 - 8 of 8 Posts