Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok so I tested water today readings were
Ph : 6.6
Ammonia :0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.50ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm

My friend (who's keeping my clown loach for the moment ) got a sponge in her filter to catch some beneficial bacteria to add to my tank I hope that works I'll go for it sunday

Thanks again for all your help

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ok so today's test ph went down same as nitrate we still having nitrite but less than yesterday

Ph:6.0
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0.25ppm
Nitrate:0ppm

I tested twice just to make sure I have the correct readings especially In ph is it normal to have the ph that low ?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Btw fish are swimming normally no sings of gasping or need of air as before and no deaths I've been adding prime daily 5x the recommended dose I'm adding all this info in case someone is researching for the same problem it has happened to me that I start reading on what Google gives me and they just cut the info on the treatment so just for all those beginner hobbyist out there I hope it can work for someone else

Again thanks for all your tips :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hi everyone today I tested the water and nitrite shows 0 it looks like I have ammonia now .25ppm water change day is this Saturday I'll do a 25% or should I do it tomorrow because of the ammonia? on other readings ph shows 6.0 and nitrate 0ppm

Im still adding prime daily but why is the ammonia raising now ? I look around the tank there's nothing dead plants nor fish and no food left overs that I can see is this normal ?

I think this tank has a Curse lol the person who sold it to me told me that he lost his fish due to ich and now It seems like it will never be stable I had a 55 gallons in the other apartment that I was living and I didn't struggle with it a friend gave it to me he just quit the hobby maybe it's because the tank was stable and I used the same equipment he had running in the tank

Well I'm trying to not give up but it's starting to frustrate me I've never been into something like this with my betta tanks and the biggest are 5 gal which as someone told me should be harder to maintain I hope this ends soon

Thanks for your help:)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Don't give up!!! Once it DOES establish, it'll be smooth sailing! Did you get the extra sponge filter media from your friend in there yet? I hope you're through soon - patience is the most important part of this hobby - and the most difficult! Hang in there! And as Sandy said - keep doing what you're doing. . .

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Ok I didn't have the chance to do it last night I just came from work and tested water since I have to wake up early I just couldn't but I'll do it once I get home
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I changed water today about 30 gallons and added prime again 5x the dose I tested the water before doing the water change and readings were the same ammonia was about .25ppm I'll let it run for 24 hrs and test water tomorrow when I get back from work

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi guys just came back from my friend's house I brought the sponge also I found out that my loach eats from her hand and he never did that with me :(

Ok I just tested water ph stills in 6.0
Ammonia is .25ppm and nitrite.25ppm nitrate is 5.0 ppm

I'm thinking on doing a water change before getting the sponge in there but I'm not sure if I should also water is cloudy again

Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I don't think it matters if you put the sponge in before or after the water-change. . . Personally, I'd want to get it in there ASAP! I wouldn't worry too much about the cloudiness right now - you're likely seeing a bacterial bloom. It'll clear up on it's own - water changes aren't likely to help with that - just ignore it if you can!

Don't be sad about the loach eating from her hand - I'm sure he'll do the very same for you, when he comes back home! I LOVE hand-feeding my finned friends, it took very little time for them to become accustomed to me - I'll offer a word of warning on that, though. . . once they reach that level of comfort, they will NEVER leave you alone again. I love it, but it *can* make water changes and pruning tricky!!! ^_^

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
So do you recommend the water change or should I leave it for now ? I can still adding prime daily but I'm worry About the ammonia?

About feeding them by hand I know one of my betas used to jump when sees me getting close with the food but it makes me jealous that je did it with her and not with me :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I'd just leave it for now, honestly. . . get that sponge in there!
(Did you keep the filter wet with tank water between your friend's house and yours? *hopes*I probably should have thought to mention this before, I'm sorry! )

Yanno, Carlos. . . when I was cycling my first tank, I had a similar situation (though it didn't last NEARLY this long). What I did to solve it was simply. . .nothing.

Sometimes it can be best to just leave things alone for a bit, and give them a chance to settle. I'm hoping with fingers crossed that this filter is the ticket to getting you past this. . . but if not, I'd suggest that if you don't see a change over the next few days after adding the sponge filter, (if you're comfortable with this approach) you leave this tank alone for 3 days or so without touching the water - but continue adding Prime.

I'm not sure if this is an accepted way of going about things, so you may want to hang on for Sandy, or another more experienced member to advise. . . I only know that it worked for me - those three days of leaving the tank alone allowed it to fix itself and restore it's own balance. Sometimes. . . the best thing to do is nothing, I think. . .

Give the bacteria on the sponge a few days to do it's thing, though - hopefully that won't be necessary.

YOU'RE GONNA GET THROUGH THIS!!!! *HUGS* And when you do, we're changing the title of this thread and move it to the journal area so you can continue to chart it's progress! I can't WAIT until things settle down, and you *FINALLY* get some enjoyment out of this beautiful tank!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I placed the sponge in there since you told me that it didn't matter if before or after water change, don't worry the sponge came with tank water in a bag just like if it was a fish I know that that bacteria is alive and has almost the same or more requirements than a fish to transport it

About this long situation that's the main reason I was thinking the tank was cursed lol no seriously this is the first time that happens this to me even my little tanks are cycled and those are 2.5 gal

I'm sorry if I become frustrating sometimes I'm just trying to do the best I can I wontw touch it for a while at least until next scheduled water change which is in a week hoping it goes back to normal

:)

Ook water change time

·
Registered
645 Posts
cycling time can be dependent on a few things.ph,oxygen level and temperature.in your case it looks to be the low ph level. tanks are harder if not impossible to cycle at low ph.

get a bag of some crushed coral.or you can go the baking soda route. the crushed coral will be more stable. aragonite will also work. sorry i did not notice this sooner.should have caught it.

·
Registered
645 Posts
carlos,wondering if you could get a bucket and fill it with your source water and put a bubbler in it for 24-48 hrs.take the ph at the beginning and the end.this will help to tell us what is going on with your dropping ph.

21 - 40 of 266 Posts