Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Unfortunately, Melafix doesn't treat ich. It's just a tonic which treats only wounds and tattered fins so it's not effective against diseases especially finrot but can be combined with meds although meds in general shouldn't be mixed. Again, Melafix is just a tonic, not a med so it's safe to combine it with meds.

Ich can kill the fish if the fish is stressed as their immune system is weakened so it's best not to do anything that will stressed the fish.

What you should do is get a heater and adjust your tank temp to 30. This will speed up the lifecycle of ich. Ich is most vulnerable to meds when in free-swimming stage. Remove the carbon when doing the treatment.

Take note to ask advice on meds first as some meds can destroy your beneficial bacteria causing you to start over again.

When ich is detected in your main tank, treat the whole tank system. Quarantining an afflicted fish is useless now that the ich parasites have harbored in your tank already.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Melafix is generally weak against serious diseases hence the recommendation to combine it with meds to especially aid the meds in fighting diseases.
86 Farenheit=30 in Celsius
As ich cannot tolerate higher temps, 32 is often used for that but make sure your fish will tolerate that. Goldfish however may not tolerate it.

There's a list of medicines posted in this section.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
girlofgod said:
ive heard not to add salt except for emergencies or as treatment...so how much would i add for a treatment?

bri
Because of the myth of salt containing iodine which can kill the fish when in fact, it's not. Iodine prevents goiter which can kill a fish.
With 10 gallons, you're settled to 2 tablespoons. Salt can be removed from the tank by diluting it via water changes.
Salt is used to relieve the fish from nitrite poisoning and ich.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
girlofgod said:
i was told never to use table salt...i bought un-iodized salt
Basically any salt will do. Iodine will help prevent goiter.
As I said, don't believe in myths or hearsays.
I have tried using iodized salt before and none of the fish suffered any ill effects. That proves the myth is wrong. A lot of myths keep revolving around the hobby and I hate hearing that over and over again.

Joeshmoe, may I ask if you have used salt before? What problems did you encounter?

Again, don't knock it 'til you try it.

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
Basically the same names.
White spot/ich/ick

1 - 5 of 5 Posts