Tropical Fish Keeping banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I was part of a crew shooting a spec commercial where I work yesterday. We were all volunteers. Well, the volunteer prop lady shows up with 2 male betta fish. I realized it when one started chewing on the others tail.

I separated them and suggested she bring them back to Petco. Sadly, when I arrived at my office this morning, there was one of the bettas in a vase converted into a tank with a sticky note that said "Feed me"

My friend found the other on his desk in its little plastic "home" from the pet store. I found your site as I heard you could dispel rumors about whether or not these fish were hardy and easy to care for. We both work long production hours and I have no interest in seeing these critters pass away because a prop lady couldn't read; may I post for an adoption? There will be no charge of any kind, and as I live in Los Angeles, I'm hopeful that somebody will be able to take them directly from me.

Honestly, I just want this little guy to have the best life possible. I could try craigslist, but if this fish requires special care, I'd like to see him placed with people who love and understand the breed rather than some bozo who will flush it.

Alternately, you can convince me that you're sure you can teach me this stuff before I accidentally kill the little man, but I read your stickys on maintenance and I'm not sure I could maintain a tank short of hiring somebody.

I hope this helps

I'm happy to provide a phone number or email or whatever you need.

Thanks,

Jude

·
Administrator
5,465 Posts
Well I guess the questions to ask yourself is, "Have I fallen in love with the little guy yet?" lol and ... "Do I have time to look after him?"
We can teach you, all the information is here on the Forums both here at tropicalfishkeeping.com and Bettafish.com. (not sure how you accessed this section) We have a sister Forum that you can reach direct or thru the Fish species section.
If you are just looking for a good home for him/them I don't see a problem with posting a thread asking for someone in the LA area to take them.
To keep him you have 2 choices... Either a smaller tank (5 gallon and under without a filter) that you completely wash out every few days and change the water 2 x a week. Or Set up a tank (5 gallon and up with filter) and get thru the "Cycle" period that can take up to 6-8 weeks to get thru, but you never have to dismantle and wash it out. You can avoid all that by adding live plants too, they will help him get thru the Cycle process.

Many of us were thrown into fish keeping too so don't feel bad. I should warn you they are highly highly addictive. A Betta is very hardy but contrary to belief they really do not live in puddles and do need more space than a vase. I personally don't keep a Betta in a tank under 10 gallons. They need a temperature up in the high 70's to low 80's but more importantly a steady temp so you would poss need a heater to achieve that. MANY members here will keep Betta's in 1.5, 2.5 and 5 gallon critter keepers but generally they don't have filters so you then need to scrub out the tank weekly.

Either way they can live several years quite happily. Thank you for trying to find a better life for them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm already tank shopping. I like my space, so he's getting a 10 gallon. Also, I'm figuring live plants will be something to add later, right? Just one thing at a time? The forums also said that most meds are dosed for a 10 gallon tank. I gave him new (bottled) water yesterday, but will that get him through tonight or do I need to re-load from the filtered water we have in our kitchen. (Not from the tap - some kind of pricey filtration job)

Also, if I keep him in my office, is he good over weekends or does he need to be at home?

Thanks again for everything,

Jude

1 - 3 of 3 Posts