b. Nitrite?
c. Nitrate?
60 ppm
d. pH, KH and GH?
Ph-8.2 kh-14 gh-17
e. Test kit?

API

3. Temperature?

78 however we are in Arizona so the water might be higher at times.

4. FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish)?

FW

5. How long the aquarium has been set up?

2 years

6. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

4 red cherry shrimp, 3 months, half an inch to an inch
1 bristle nose pleco, 6 months, still frowning, 2.5 inches
6 harlequin rasboras, 9 months, 1 inch (or so)
3 golden barbs, 5 months, 2 inches or so.
4 gold zebra danios, 7 months, 2 inches or so
The lady at the petstore (my mistake for going to petsmart) gave me danios instead of barbs the first batch and I didn't realize it until I bought more barbs to fill up the school.

7. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

Yes, for 2 weeks in a 5 gallon that has 2 african dwarf frogs in it.

8. a. Any live plants? Fake plants?
Fake plants
b. Sand, gravel, barebottom?
Gravel
c. Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors?

River rocks, driftwood, no hollow

9. a. Filtration?
Top fin 60 hob
b. Heater?

Yes

10. a. Lighting schedule? What lights are used?

Yes, fluorescent, nothing special, got them replaced once since original

b. Any sunlight exposure? How long?

None

11. a. Water change schedule?
Every week, occasionally once every 2 weeks
b. Volume of water changed?
30% 10-15 gallons
c. Well water, tap water, RO water?
Tap water
d. Water conditioner used?
API or seachem
e. Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed?

Every week

12. Foods?
Flakes from petsmart, occasionally frozen brine shrimp or bloodworms. Freeze dried bloodworms, brine shrimp, micro worms. Occasional zucchini, blanched and skin removed, algae wafers.

How often are they fed?
Once a day, maybe the zucchini or algae wafer a later than the usual feed.

13. a. Any abnormal signs/symptoms?
Red spots or dwarf gourami, hiding a lot, very shy about eating, while globs on him.
b. Appearance of poop?
Black string I think, but I went out of town right after I quarantined.
c. Appearance of gills?

Perhaps bulging slightly.

14. a. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis?
I have him some antibacterial food for a short time and used pimafix and melafix in case it was fungal or something else it could cure.
b. What meds were used?

Pimafix and melafix (think that's what they're called)

15. Insert photos of fish in question and full tank shot if necessary.

I didn't get a photo of the fish sick. But there were about 10 red areas, they looked raw, I thought it may be an injury, but he kept getting more and none of the fish in there are that aggressive. Then they starting turning while, maybe fungus, could it be dwarf gourami disease? None of the other fish were showing symptoms and I don't see fungus on my frog. Before the fish died it layed on the ground for a while gasping.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Well your nitrates are threw the roof. That is most likely what killed him, they are sensitive to high nitrates. Especially now since they have been so interbreed. Do some more water changes or get some live plants. Live plants will suck up all those nitrates.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 20 gallon planted has off the charts nitrates, sometimes at 80 ppm only, I do a 50% water change weekly and they are still horrible. I'm about giving up on the whole live plants sucking up nitrates. That may have been in correct actually, they're only at 40.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Do once every other day. Get some duckweed, it will suck up all the nutrients and it is literally impossible to kill that plant. If you can do 50% every day.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do once every other day. Get some duckweed, it will suck up all the nutrients and it is literally impossible to kill that plant. If you can do 50% every day.

Posted via Mobile Device

I have a python now so I can, and do when it gets too bad, but they always come back. Would you suggest ordering them online? Or is it common in shops?

I believe that in the 30 gallon they are cause from improper filter maintenance. However now I rinse a cartridge every week, and there are two in that filter so I switch the one I rinse.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you wash them in tap water or tank water? Also your lfs will have duckweed.
Posted via Mobile Device

If I am rinsing both at once then tank water, but if just one I'll usually do tap out of convenience. My lfs is half an hour away but close to somewhere I go once a week so I can try them. How many plants should I buy? For all my tanks?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yes for all the tanks. They will allow you to have 0 nitrates. They eat it fast. Usually they come in portions, so idk get maybe a portion for each tank. Look them up so you know what they are. Once you get it,it will be hard to get rid of. That is what people say. Also get dwarf water lettuce if they have it. Them combined will suck up that nutrients fast. They are both floating plants and will multiply fast.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe I should start with one batch then? And just move them? I've done a bit of research before because I wanted to get some after seeing how nice the fake ones looked, the price wasn't too bad.. Water lettuce too but I didn't research that one.

I could just separate them right away since I've read they can spread disease from tank to tank if it's in there.

I'm go into check the perimeters again today so I will have a more accurate reading.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Just get one of each. But if the portions are small get a couple. Portions usually are only 1 or 2 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh, well in that case no problem, on eBay there were around $10 and there were many different ranges. I'll call ahead to make sure.

Also would I get one for the 5 gallon frog tank?

Should I replace the dwarf gourami when I go there? I like to get dg's and angelfish at non chain stores and while I'm already there... But if it was dwarf gourami I should get another dg and would get an angel or something on the larger side.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Ya that is WAY overpriced for duckweed and water lettuce. Some stores will even give it away for free. Does the frog tank have a light? If so ya go ahead and throw some in there. I personally have not had good experience with angelfish with gouramis. I would do one or the other. I would do the angels, i have 3 in my 29 and they are so cool. Im trying to get a pair out of them. Do a huge water change 75% or so right before you leave, if you are going to get fish.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I meant one or the other. I do have 2 angels with 1 gourami in my 45 and they're fine :)

Although is there a reason my angels aren't really growing? They're almost the same size as when I got them and the pinoy isn't turning blue.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Vpaw, plants are not a magic fix for your issue. Can you do me a favor and put a cup of treated (with water conditioner) tap water on your counter for 24 hours and tell me what the results of testing it are? I'm suspecting you have nitrates in your tap. The red patches don't sound like it was a result of the nitrate. While dangerous over 40ppm, it doesn't burn the fish like you are describing. Bacterial infections can cause red patches and I would lean more towards that as a cause of death.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flint- are the results only accurate after a day? When I tested the tap before it had 0 nitrates and nitrites and I believe ammonia as well.

I have had he angels for a good 5 or so months.
Also in the tank:
Black red tailed shark
6 black skirt tetras
2 Dalmatian mollies (I'd like to replace he, with something more exotic)
4 nerite snails
1 male flaming dwarf gourami
1 pinoy angel 1 koi (I think) angel

The filtration is enough for a 100 gallon tank, 3 chambers, there are 2 sets of air stones, one goes across he tanks, dividing it into parts, the other is small in a corner, one section of the tank has high movement which is good for the shark, the other part I believe to have quieter waters.

There are plenty of hiding places with lots of decor, a cavelike hung, and fake silk plants, there are also 2 fake water lotus for floating coverage.

Also yes, the frog tank has LED lights.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
There are gas exchanges that happen to water over the course of a day so I would like a 24 hour testing, please. :)

The 45 looks good stock-wise so I don't know why the angels havent grown much. Try offering some meaty foods such as frozen bloodworms, sprulina and beefheart.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts