Tropical Fish Keeping banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gallon planted aquarium. (Had) about 8 neon tetras a few white clouds 2 guppies and a midnight betta. OVERNIGHT!!! THEY ALL disappeared except my bristlenose and my male guppy. And I have NO CLUE why. I can't find bodies anywhere (bottom of tank, filter, ground outside tank) does anyone have any clue how or why? Or what other creatures could be lurking in my water?

·
Registered
1 Betta fish in a quarantine tank. 1 Mystery Snail, 5 Adult Trapdoor Snails in 3 gal. In Description
156 Posts
Your bristle nose pleco probably ate them and whatever remains probably were eaten by the guppy or just dissolved.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a 3 inch plecco to eat 11 fish he would had serious bloating considering it was only within a few hours time. 🤔 there has to be another explanation. What I'm asking more is are the any insects or somthing that could be hiding in my sand I may be unaware of that would kill them all off. Because there's no logical reason how 11 fish including a betta would completely vanish.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after observing the tank for a few hours and doing some research. I feel I have a male bristlenose. They can become extremely territorial when going into "heat"(mating season) wich takes them 3 to 5 years. And thats about how long ov had him. I looked into their digestive habits and they can consume and digest a danio for reference withing 45 mins. So my conclusion he's horney and wanted to be alone so he killed everyone in the tank and ate them. Iv been researching this for hours. 🤣it's sad. But I have my answers now I guess.

·
Administrator
5 Posts
There is no mistaking a 3-5 year old male bn with a female. Males can start developing bristles within a few months of life. BNs can be sexually mature at 6 months. All plecos will be territorial during breeding, but a bn will not kill mid/upper level swimming fish. They will however scavenge on dead bodies so more likely something went wrong in your tank and the bn "cleaned up" after the fact

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd like to disagree with you. Considering I read about 8 different articles. All from very trusted sources. Reached out to several enthusiasts of the hobby and even observed him as he finished the last guppy that was remaining in the tank. I visually watched him swim up and thrash the fish with his gill plate spikes. I didn't come to this conclusion out of thin air.

·
Administrator
5 Posts
All I can do is offer my 30+ years of experience keeping plecos. 20+ of those years include breeding Peckoltia, Hypancistrus, Panaqolus, and of course Ancistrus (BN). Peckoltia and Hypancistrus tend to prefer meatier foods where as Panaqolus and Ancistrus do better with vegetation. That being said, all plecos are opportunist eaters.

I have literally bred thousands of plecos. As for BNs I was supplying a LFS with them for about 10 years. I keep/kept/breed/bred Ancistrus cf. cirrhosus in brown, albino, dark eyed albino, green, and super reds. All in both short and long fin variations.

I've kept random dither fish (melanotaenia, tetras, rasboras, gouramis, killifish, guppies, corydoras ...) in most if not all of my Pleco breeding tanks over the years, some of which have turned into breeding groups themselves.

I can honestly say in all those years, with all those fish I personally have never once witnessed a pleco kill a swimming dither fish. Now killing each other over territory and/or breeding is a different story.

·
Registered
1 Betta fish in a quarantine tank. 1 Mystery Snail, 5 Adult Trapdoor Snails in 3 gal. In Description
156 Posts
I once owned a bristlnose pleco myself and it ate 3 of my guppies.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts